What team do I need to build to create a video game?

Started by
11 comments, last by GeneralJist 1 year, 6 months ago

We think to start making a video game, but we don't know the team we need to build for that, can anyone share we me what I need as a team for that?

None

Advertisement

Not an expert but I think you should define much more precisely what you want to create. “a video game” can mean anything from a retro-clone of space-invaders, upto and including some MMORPG to be played world-wide with 100s of millions users worldwide.

Start with a game design document describing what the game is like, and from there start thinking what it will take to realize that plan.

@Alberth We try to make a VR game, which is a simple game that will be in 1 building with a small scenario

None

For a professional game if you had no experience but money to fund the development, your first hire would be someone who knows what they are doing. That would likely be an experienced producer, or if not a producer, an experienced senior developer of another discipline. They in turn would hire the rest of the senior team: an experienced designer, lead programmer, and art director. The four of them would manage the project, and they need to get along well together and complement each other in skill sets, which is why the group needs to be involved in hiring each other so they can pick up skills they know are missing, and strengths that play against weaknesses.

Each one would know how to navigate the paths of their own disciplines: Producers know how to work with external companies and integrate dates, coordinating the business side with the development side. Producers are the external mediators. Experienced designers are all about the fleshing out of ideas and communication within and between the teams. Designers are the internal mediators. The experienced programmer and experienced artist know how to navigate their own disciplines, the major landmarks for milestones you need to hit and the areas to watch out for. They'd know who else needs to be hired, and what to do. The group could handle audio and Foley, effects, QA, and the various team sub-specialties that your project would require like graphics and networking and such.

In the hobbyist world you've still got all the same circles to navigate, communication externally, communication internally, and communication inside disciplines, but you're relying on inexperienced people to make the best of whatever skills they happen to have, and they're all learning as they go. These projects nearly always fail, most never make it to store pages and those that do typically die in obscurity, but everyone gets some learning experience that helps them advance their career and some to break in to the industry for real.

The key difficulty you'll face is making correct series of decisions that lead to project getting finished. So first thing I'd look for is somebody who has portfolio which demonstrates they know what it takes to get games finished.

If you have to ask, then you're definitely not ready to lead a team on your own. Forget about a team and scale back your plans until you've got something that you can make on your own, then make it.

In my long time experience, in the beginning as an amatuer , later as a professional, I have found that building a team is not an easy task, I do not know if you are willing to pay the programmers who will work for you or if you are looking for people willing to work on a volunteer basis, but enthusiams fades away very quickly. Not everyone will share your vision, they will see you as a money provider. You will have better chances if you hire professionals and if you have a strong and clear idea of what you need. Make a busness plan, allocate resources for each department, hire at least 1 programmer or / and artist for each tash. Do not expect them to go overtime for you, separate tasks, schedule them , monitor them continuously. Decide if you need an engine ( UNITY ) and which language you will support ( C# ) , hire expert in that field, not people who still need to understand the basics, hire artists who can show you a portfolio, even if minimal which will align to your needs. Apply the Agile method, do daily meetings, le tthem experess what they are doing and what they plan to do in the next few days, associate for each of them a percentage of work done and proficiency, thuis will boost their ego to show others that they can. Allow enough time to create a first demo, then start to look for investors. I can only wish you the best and Gloria Perpetua

Daily meetings? That's something I would only tolerate if I was paid a lot, or if I disliked working on the project and was looking for an excuse to avoid doing so, or preferably both.

I mean, sure, you do need to keep track of what your people are doing and make sure they are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing, but going to the other extreme with micromanagement is just as bad.

Yes I totally agree, the daily meeting are scheduled at 10.30, basically all the morning is wasted, since usually the call lasts 1 hour and half, at 13.00 I have an hour free to eat , then back at 14.00 to work until 18.00. Its a nightmare and I cannot wait to call me out of this project, I am staying only for money

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement