Looking for some advice

Started by
2 comments, last by GColumbu 10 months ago

Hello!

My name is George, and I'm 23 years old. Recently, I graduated from university where I studied computer science. For my bachelor's degree project, I decided to create a 2D pixelated game called EpicRun, which I absolutely loved working on. My dream is to become an indie game developer, and for my first major project, I want to develop a mobile game for kids with graphics similar to "Clash Royale" or "Clash of Clans." While I'm proficient in programming, particularly Java which I also use at work, I have limited knowledge about game development

I built the EpicRun game using the libGDX framework in Java, and I became quite skilled with it. I did everything from 0 and I was quite thrilled with the finished product, even scoring a 9.5/10 for my degree with it. Since this will be my first significant project, I want to ensure that I document everything thoroughly from the beginning. The game I'm planning to create will be for mobile platforms, and I'm uncertain about whether I should continue using a framework like libGDX (which supports mobile game development) or switch to a game engine like Unreal (I will have to learn this one, but from what I've seen I don't expect to be a major challenge). I've heard various opinions about the advantages and disadvantages of each option, and I would greatly appreciate any insights you can provide.

Additionally, I want to mention that I actually paid for the graphics in EpicRun because I lack artistic or design skills. Considering that replicating the art style of "Clash Royale" won't be a simple task, I'm wondering if I should hire someone to handle the artwork for me, which would save me time, or if I should invest the time to learn how to do it myself and save money. I would greatly appreciate your feedback and insights on this matter.

Can you help me make a decision? Thank you!

Advertisement

GColumbu said:
whether I should continue using a framework like libGDX … or switch to a game engine like Unreal

GColumbu said:
wondering if I should hire someone to handle the artwork for me, which would save me time, or if I should invest the time to learn how to do it myself and save money.

I can't answer the programming question but I'll take a stab at the second.

The time it will take you to become an artist is unknowable. Do you already have art skills? In your studies, did you take many art classes? To begin your project, start with what we lovingly refer to as “programmer art” (also called “placeholder” art). Then as the project develops, you can decide whether or not you are capable of better art or need to find someone else to help.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefined Wow, this is such a simple answer, yet it makes so much sense. Thank you, that’s definitely what I’ll do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement