Balancing Challenges in Level Design - Seeking Advice

Started by
2 comments, last by Acosix 5 months, 1 week ago

I'm currently working on designing levels for a game, and I'm facing some challenges in terms of balancing gameplay. It seems that some sections of the levels are proving to be more difficult than intended, while others may be too easy.

I'm reaching out to the experienced game designers in the community for advice on how to effectively balance the difficulty curve in level design. Have you encountered similar challenges in your projects, and how did you address them? Are there specific techniques or tools you use to ensure a smooth and engaging difficulty progression for players?

I appreciate any insights, tips, or personal experiences you can share to help me improve the overall gaming experience. Thank you in advance for your guidance! Manage your finance purchases seamlessly with the Milestone Gold Mastercard, enjoying the flexibility of real-time transactions for a smoother and more efficient shopping experience.

MyMilestoneCard

Advertisement

gillshreyas said:
It seems that some sections of the levels are proving to be more difficult than intended, while others may be too easy.

Start there. Figure out what makes a section more difficult or too easy, and see what you can do to counter that tendency. You may have to scrap some earlier attempts once you've gotten the hang of it. But a lot of level design challenge balancing is build it and test it and learn thereby. Realize also that all players are made differently. Not all players will find your difficult sections difficult, nor your easy sections easy. Are you familiar with Bartle's Player Types? Maybe not all types would even play your game.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Make a fun level map. Not the actual level
map played, but the 2 dimensional one for
viewing.

https://acogamedev.blogspot.com/

I wrote 15 articles on video game level design,
writing 16th.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement