Need Help with Coding in Castle Game Engine with No Prior Experience

Started by
12 comments, last by Alberth 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hello everyone,

I have expertise with programming knowledge in general like C++ but not Pascal in particular, and can use basic logic skills to teach myself the basics of the Pascal language that the Castle Game Engine uses, like I can see how “var” is defined in a very specific way and always uses a specific syntax using colons and so on to reference an actual physical object in the project's scene,

Or that I have to use parenthesis (like this) in order to make sure that I make it clear what operation I want done first, or that I know that a vector is a list of multiple numbers with a specific number of inputs and so on, all the basics like that I knew already,

Advertisement

But when I asked for help calmly and clearly on this forum thread in the Beginner's section of the Pascal Lazarus forum,

https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,66324.0.html​,

I was told explicitly that “at university you are told to figure everything out yourself”, or “he clearly wants everything coded for him 😉" even though that is objectively not true; I always pointed out how I did the proper research first to try to figure it out myself before asking, but stlil ran into errors.

Again, I do know that “begin” and “end” indicate the beginning and ending of a block, and even though it is true that if you read the fourm thread I made rookie mistakes like including the wrong amounts of begins and ends, I only wanted someone to gently point out small errors in my code where I go wrong, rather than telling me, although maybe not directly, “because you made simple mistakes, it means you're a hopeless beginner who isn't worth the more advanced projects like this”, because that's not true; I do know in fact that “begin” is supposed to begin a block of code and “end” is supposed to end it.

Does anyone with insider knowledge of Castle Game Engine and/or Pascal want to help with my projects, again only pointing out small mistakes I am making but I will take care of most of it, in a professional and gentle way?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Hi everyone,

Here is the link to my Github project:

https://github.com/JPF12141999/Toy-Story-2-Ripoff-Game

I figured because the people making those kinds of remarks also admitted upfront they didn't have expertise in the Castle Game Engine, their opinion isn't worth listening to anyway because they didn't actually try learning it first, like I did.

I was told explicitly that “at university you are told to figure everything out yourself”, or “he clearly wants everything coded for him 😉" even though that is objectively not true; I always pointed out how I did the proper research first to try to figure it out myself before asking, but stlil ran into errors.

Again, I do know that “begin” and “end” indicate the beginning and ending of a block, and even though it is true that if you read the fourm thread I made rookie mistakes like including the wrong amounts of begins and ends, I only wanted someone to gently point out small errors in my code where I go wrong, rather than telling me, although maybe not directly, “because you made simple mistakes, it means you're a hopeless beginner who isn't worth the more advanced projects like this”, because that's not true; I do know in fact that “begin” is supposed to begin a block of code and “end” is supposed to end it.

Does anyone with insider knowledge of Castle Game Engine and/or Pascal want to help with my projects, again only pointing out small mistakes I am making but I will take care of most of it, in a professional and gentle way?

I know nothing about Castle, and very little of Pascal. But that seems irrelevant. You can't create a game by not knowing the basics and just copy/pasting snippets (unless maybe with a fully visual, no-code engine).

I had a quick look at that forum, and see a remark about line 238 in gameviewplay.pas. Even with my limited Pascal knowledge, I can see the problem. If you can't, you should take people's advice, and just learn to swim, before jumping into the deep end.

That error was fixed already; I know what went wrong there already because it was discussed elsewhere in the forum thread.

And again, I do know the basics already; I do know a “procedure” is a function with or without a specific number of inputs, and that “var” is shorthand for variable, and that you have to assign things in a very specific order; all of that, I only need help with very very tiny details that keep throwing the whole thing off.

Argamerist said:

That error was fixed already; I know what went wrong there already because it was discussed elsewhere in the forum thread.

Then why did you not update it on github? Not very helpful looking at old, wrong code.
And what you seem to think are the basics, is not what I meant by it. You need to actually be able to program in the language, e.g. data types, flow control, objects, classes etc.

“Insider knowledge” of Pascal? What about getting manuals and textbooks? I can guarantee you'll learn many more important “very very tiny details”, and much firmer principles, than from drive-by forum advice.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Okay, now this is getting back to “teach yourself every tiny little detail, and god help you if you want someone to explain clearly where you went wrong on even one move”; I think because I point out how I do in fact read the manual, like I know that “if else” is supposed to check if a condition is true and execute something else if it isn't true in this particular problem's case, I genuinely cannot see what is wrong because I am just following what the examples and manual tell me to do.

Can someone please lock the thread if the final answer is always going to be “RTFM for every problem you have, no matter the circumstance?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement