I'm looking for gameplay programming resources

Started by
4 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 1 month, 1 week ago

Hello Everyone,

I am a college student, and I have taken many game development courses using Unreal Engine. Even though I have learned a lot from these courses, I always believe that I can gain more experience.

With that being said, I would like to learn more about gameplay programming. Are there any good resources that could help me gain more experience? I would also like to know what advice you have on improving my gameplay programming skills.

Thank you all in advance.

Advertisement

What books and/or sites did your professor(s) recommend to you, and why aren't those enough to keep you plenty busy?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@AlanHoffmann Go with python

AlanHoffmann said:
I would also like to know what advice you have on improving my gameplay programming skills.

Stop depending on pre-made exercises is my guess. There is a lot of difference between someone telling you what to do and figuring that out yourself.

“Gameplay programming” is both a combination of game design and programming and layered: general game design theory, good practices to test and improve game designs, in-depth knowledge of genres and their design patterns; computer science and general purpose techniques and practices, more specifically programming in a certain programming language (with the Unreal Engine probably C++), more specifically programming with your game engine.

What did you study in “game development courses using Unreal Engine” and what do you feel weak at? Do you need to study more, or just to accumulate experience by, for example, exhuming and improving your old homework games?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement