Not that it would be wise, but would developing a completely new story format be received well?

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 1 month ago

I realize that this is a completely terrible and reckless idea in terms of career gambling, but would people want a story with a completely new plot, setting, tropes, character personalities, and overall concepts?

It seems to me that every story-driven entertainment ever has been seeking to create "the next big thing;" trying to start a new trend or exploring never previously conceived topics, like it's the "White Whale" of story writing. I see that lots of times it works, most of the time it doesn't, but just seeing this everywhere and all the time, gets me thinking...

I know, especially firsthand, that people usually like some form of familiarity and relatability in their stories to balance it out, but could it be possible to write something well-received without that? Could something truly "New" completely sweep the market, or just be a land-filler?

Advertisement

CM@SNHU said:
Could something truly "New" completely sweep the market

Of course that's possible. Big difference between “would” and “could.”

And now you've fulfilled your assignment to post something on a game development forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I've actually had this question since before college; something I felt could truly impact my career choices and the way I grow as an aspiring Game Developer. But that's alright, I'm sorry for wasting everybody's time.

I guess my real question was: Why should I bother trying to create something different if absolutely nobody cares? How should I go about making something new in a way that actually matters to people? Or should I just give up?

CM@SNHU said:
Why should I bother trying to create something different if absolutely nobody cares?

Because YOU WANT TO.

CM@SNHU said:
How should I go about making something new in a way that actually matters to people?

That's for YOU to figure out. We can't answer your vague all-encompassing question.

CM@SNHU said:
Or should I just give up?

And do what instead?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

CM@SNHU said:
I guess my real question was: Why should I bother trying to create something different if absolutely nobody cares? How should I go about making something new in a way that actually matters to people? Or should I just give up?

Why are you pursuing this?

Do you really see those as your only options, make something original to the world that matters to people OR give up, no other options? That seems rather myopic.

CM@SNHU said:
would people want a story with a completely new plot, setting, tropes, character personalities, and overall concepts?

As far as storytelling goes, that's something that is extremely rare. The general frameworks we use today are hundreds of years old, and have been gradually evolved and improved by storytellers spanning generations.

There are very few people who create something entirely new, or even create giant leaps forward in a genre. You get people like JRR Tolkien, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, in comparison to the many hundred thousand books in bookseller inventories, and the countless more who never get their work published.

It is an unrealistic expectation.

Tom Sloper said:
Because YOU WANT TO.

You are very right; I should focus on my desire to create. Even if customers won't buy it, or producers and investors look at it and laugh, I'll know that I have made something worthwhile because I'm satisfied with my result. It's just that sometimes I feel like I'm trying to make a career out of a hobby, even if thousands have done it before me.

frob said:
Do you really see those as your only options,

frob said:
It is an unrealistic expectation.

I was brought up on the belief to always shoot for the stars, and I've grown to realize that I might land somewhere a little lower, but sometimes even the moon feels so far away.

Life may be throwing lots of punches, but I've got to keep my head up. I need to focus on what I care about and not so much on how hard it is to get there. Thank you, I'll remember this.

As a sport example, often the most valuable players are not the one scoring the point, but the ones who consistently do the seemingly small tasks, they constantly pass the ball, they consistently block the opponent.

So it is in game development. While being a once-in-a-generation transformer might happen, it is more realistic to set the goal on consistent results and incremental improvements.

When it comes across as you described, either accomplish at an impossibility rare rate or “just be land-filler” then you are setting yourself up for failure. There is tremendous merit that extends much farther down the scale than you presented.

All of that said, of course do your original thing if you want. Just don't expect the world to transform around it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement