What principles do you prioritize when designing levels for a game?

Started by
4 comments, last by Brain 1 month ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm creating this post as part of a class assignment I'm currently working on. The objective of our assignment is to gain constructive feedback from our peers and the gaming community on any question/topic we choose to explore.

Regarding the proposed topic, I've found that level flow, consistency, and diversity are significant factors in building an engaging game environment. Ensuring a seamless transition between levels guarantees logical progression, which keeps players engaged. Consistency in design establishes a cohesive theme, contributing to player immersion and aiding their understanding of how the world operates. Lastly, incorporating diversity in game mechanics and challenges keeps player interest by offering a balance of exploration, combat, and other gameplay elements, which helps prevent monotony.

Feel free to share what you find most important when designing your levels or any additional resources you may find beneficial for level design beginners.

** Kindly note, if you encounter similar posts from others, please understand that we are STUDENTS aiming to learn and acquire valuable insights on various game development topics to broaden our knowledge and perspectives. Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated, as it supports our learning journey. Negative commentary not only detracts from our experience but also undermines the spirit of an inclusive gaming community. Let's try to foster an environment of growth and positivity for beginners entering our field.**

Advertisement

Juliet999 said:
I've found that level flow, consistency, and diversity are significant factors

I've found that adding features incrementally and logically are important. For example, say the first level focuses on jumping from and onto stationary objects. Then moving objects can be added once the player has mastered that skill, then getting shot at in a later level, rather than hitting the player with all the challenges right up front. Ramping up the difficulty and complexity as the player gains experience and confidence is important in level design.

Juliet999 said:
please understand that we are STUDENTS aiming to learn

We are well aware. I called you out on your first post for its laziness. Glad to see you actually put some thought and effort into this one, Grasshopper.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

We are all students here.

P.S. Reminds me of Animal Crossing.

My destructive and unkindly feedback is that this post, unlike the one in the closed thread, seems written by a LLM chatbot.

If it is, it's more offensive than a low effort question; if it isn't, you should worry about your linguistic skills rather than about homework.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Juliet999 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm creating this post as part of a class assignment I'm currently working on. The objective of our assignment is to gain constructive feedback from our peers and the gaming community on any question/topic we choose to explore.

Regarding the proposed topic, I've found that level flow, consistency, and diversity are significant factors in building an engaging game environment. Ensuring a seamless transition between levels guarantees logical progression, which keeps players engaged. Consistency in design establishes a cohesive theme, contributing to player immersion and aiding their understanding of how the world operates. Lastly, incorporating diversity in game mechanics and challenges keeps player interest by offering a balance of exploration, combat, and other gameplay elements, which helps prevent monotony.

Feel free to share what you find most important when designing your levels or any additional resources you may find beneficial for level design beginners.

** Kindly note, if you encounter similar posts from others, please understand that we are STUDENTS aiming to learn and acquire valuable insights on various game development topics to broaden our knowledge and perspectives. Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated, as it supports our learning journey. Negative commentary not only detracts from our experience but also undermines the spirit of an inclusive gaming community. Let's try to foster an environment of growth and positivity for beginners entering our field.**

I'm happy to offer some real world experience on this; A few years ago I created a game which had 30 levels. Each level was supposed to incrementally introduce new game mechanics gradually, so that the user was not overwhelmed.

By the time I had created about 6 levels i came to realise that the order I had intended didnt make sense because after play testing, and revealing the levels to groups of willing players at an expo, some mechanics were much harder than others. As the game was supposed to be difficult I did not want to remove or nerf the mechanics so I ended up changing the order, making the more difficult mechanics come later in the sequeunce. This meant re-desigining some of the ones that came before it a little, and adding ‘filler’ levels between to pad it out just a little to give the player time to get used to the things they'd learned.

Long story short, whatever order you have intended to have your levels in, be flexible. You may find yourself making your level 2 be level 10 by the time you've gathered testing feedback.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement