Best RPG

Started by
16 comments, last by techrecruiter 24 years, 1 month ago
OK, what''s the best RPG (for pc''s, no FPS games, any genre) that you have played that has come out within the past year or so. (And why?)
Tim HeardMalone Technicaltheard@jcmalone.com
Advertisement
for the pc, baulder''s gate:
darn near perfect d and d system implemented
HUGE game
expansion HUGE
great control
great music
great action
open ended type story lines.
many many sidequests
doesn''t crash after installing patch =)
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com
Baldur''s Gate has my vote! The game is incredible: great story, graphics, sound... The voice acting is hilarious (Minsc: GO FOR THE EYES BOO! GO FOR THE EYES BOO! RRRAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!). The only things that need work are pathfinding, and making the characters run. Has anyone played Planescape yet?
I couldn''t really get into Baldur''s Gate. That may be the fact that I never liked the D&D system.

I would probably say Fallout 2 for isometric view, but I think that it is just because it seems very similar to the game that I''m designing (but mine will be better of course )

It actually irritates me... I spent a month coming up with my system of percentages and defaulting skills, and then I play Fallout 2, and it has a very similar system (I had never played it or anything with a similar system before I started designing mine) -- unfortunately, this leaves me in the precarious "Fallout clone" arena which I''ve got to worm my way out of.

For sheer fun, I have to say Might and Magic VIII (though it is a First-person view)... I''m just enjoying the heck out of that game right now.

-Chris

---<<>>---
Chris Rouillard
Software Engineer
crouilla@hotmail.com
---<<>>--- Chris Rouillard Software Engineercrouilla@hotmail.com
I have one absolute favorite of all time:

Betrayl In Krondor. It''s now probably five or six years old, and it has VGA graphics (with 3D engine), but it''s just simply amazing cool game. It had most innovating plot (well, maybe Ultima 4 had better...), incredible inventory system (it works !!!), and simple but amazing gameplay.

Sierra released this piece of art for freeware, so if I would be you, I would go to Sierras webpage (or CNET''s downloads ... etc) and get this game right now. Be warned: this version is NOT patched, and you have to download patch from sierras page, or the game will crash at chapter 7 or 9.

I can''t get why people were so crazy about BG? Kill, kill, kill, not enough quests, Npcs didn''t have life, no humour, too much battles, annoying exp. cap to make sure that people will buy their next expansion, story was so freaking predictable: in bandit camp i knew exactly what i''ll have to do next and game had not enough weapons. Also it was nice to notice that mages were pieces of crap, they couldn''t use enough spells in one turn(like gorion did at first middlegame scene). And finally bad ending demo. Luckily most of these things were fixed in Planescape: Torment. Well the Baldur''s Gate was big money collector anyway, what else can you espect from TSR? AD&D rules, Drizzt Do''Urden, Elminster and AD&D rules again which are completely made for American burgerplayers =)

What comes to my opinion I would vote for Fallout 2, Nethack and Adom. Exile 3 is second. There are serveral other older RPGs, but I didn''t like them exept Diablo which wasn''t really rpg. Someone who wants to make good RPG should really play throught Exile 3, Nethack, Adom, Angband and Fallout1&2.

Time comes, time goes and I only am.
Some people say FF7 was the greatest RPG they ever played. I think otherwise. It''s battle and magic systems were pretty good though. I personally think FF8 is better than 7. It hasn''t come out for the PC yet, though it did take awhile for 7 to also.
Yes, Ultima 4 was a great game. I still play it on my old 8-bit Nintendo. I liked the magic and battle system in that as well. The idea of haveing a book of spells and needing reagens to cast I thought was neat. Also, the first person dungeons were cool. I really liked the whole virtue aspect of it also because not only did it force the player to play fair, but it gave some indication of how far along you were. I especially liked the fact you could choose to attack someone. I have gotten sick and tired of walking up to a door and not being able to go through because there is a guard who says I can''t. I''ve killed hundreds of monsters ten times worse than this guy by now, I should be aloud to kick his butt.
For those Ultima 4 fanatics out there, I figured out an interesting money cheat. If you die, you automatically start out with 400g, no matter how much you had before. This can really suck if you have a lot of money, but it''s great if you don''t. When you are revived, go into the town of Britannia and buy a sword (400g). Now if you go to the jail across from the throne room in castle Britannia, you can kill yourself easily. You come back to life and PRESTO! You have 400g and a sword that is effectively worth 200g. This also helps with your honesty rating if you sell at 200. If you sell at 400 this will hurt your honesty.

"YOU APES WANNA LIVE FOREVER?" Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
"Who wants to live forever?" Queen
"Never trust a bald barber" me
B^)
FF8 isn''t on the PC yet? Gee, then what have I been playing until midnight for the last week and a half?
It is already out, just don''t look for an Eidos box. Square teamed with EA this time for publishing. You can''t miss it. Almost the entire box is holo-foil. But the best price I''ve seen it in stores is around $37. If you go to computer shows, it''s around $25.
Planescape: Torment! Great graphics, better than BG. Great story, just the fact that you start out as a dead person its thrilling. Some neat comments from you companions ("Attention Morte. Did you noticed I have six sides?" ). Pretty diffrent each time you play it over again. Besides that, Ultima 6 and 7 (pt. I & II) very absolutley kickass RPG''s.

"I think, therefore I am...I think"
Personally, I wouldn''t call FF7 and FF8 PC games because they were originally developed exclusively on the Playstation.
I much prefer RPGs on console than PCs- PC RPGs (in my VERY humble opinion) aren''t true RPGs. Console RPGs (such as FF7, Suikoden 1/2, Xenogears, Chronon trigger, Final Fantasy (all of them), Lunar, and Wild Arms) are real RPGs. I haven''t played Baulders Gate, but I HAVE EverQuest. They clacify that as an RPG, but it''s not. There is not much of a story (only sub-stories) and the battles are real-time (they can be realtime in other RPGs, it''s just more rare like that). Anyways, don''t flame me or anything, but I think that true PC "rpgs" aren''t RPGs at all. *puts flame repelent jock, coat and face-mask on*

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement