Scripting languages

Started by
15 comments, last by Muzzafarath 24 years ago
Why are some languages called scripting languages (UnrealScript for example) while some are called programming languages (C++ for example)? /. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Advertisement
scripting languages are nothing more than text files
computer languages have to be compiled
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
So all interpreted programming languages (BASIC, original Pascal) are scripting languages?

I think you''re wrong. UnrealScript compiles the code to bytecode (don''t know what it means, but it does compile the code), so why is it called a a scripting language and not a programming language?

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
really what it is doing is editing the exe perhaps...maybe i am wrong i''ll admit that but i am pretty confident thats right

some scripting languages-
perl
C (for cgi, a little bit different)
vbscript
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
I''m not quite sure but I think that you need a virtual machine, in order to execute, your bytecode. While machine code is machine dependant and is executed directly in the CPU.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous
I think a more accurate definition would be this:

A script is a set of instructions that are executed by another program, not directly by the CPU. Typically, a scripting language is high level, and used to control the function of the interpreting program. Some scripting languages are compiled into bytecode. Bytecode is similar to CPU machine language, but again, it is interpreted and executed by another process, commonly known as a ''virtual machine''.

As far as I''m concerned, Java and BASIC and python _are_ scripting languages, just very powerful ones.

- genovov
I''ve always drawn the line at the purpose of the language. If the language is designed to primarily augment an application, it''s a scripting language (UnrealScript : Unreal, java-script; VBScript : Web Browsers/Servers, VBA : Office programs). Programming languages are designed to create applications. I consider Perl to be a(n evil) programming language. You can compile it into fully-functional stand alone software. Java is also a programming language, because it is designed to create applications.

Of course the critereon for a real programming language vs. a toy language is if you can write a compiler for the language in that language.
Genovov,

Actually, I think there are processors out there that can run Java bytecode without interpretation, meaning there are instances when Java would not be considered a scripting language according to your definition. The Virtual Machine does not have to be virtual.

...and, Transmeta''s processor translate x86 instructions to its internal instruction set before running them on its CPU. Would that make x86 code a scripting language? hehe tricky matter.

Henry
Well, if a virtual machine isn't virtual, then it's just a machine right?

/. Muzzafarath

Edited by - Muzzafarath on 4/10/00 4:30:47 AM
Hmmm, you''re right, it is a tricky matter. Perhaps SiCrane is closer to the ''correct'' definition. However, the Python compiler is writen in almost 100% Python code, but the creators consider it a scripting language....

Ah well, close enough

- genovov

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement