Texture mapping? ...

Started by
0 comments, last by jmszczap82 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I''ve been tinkering with various tools for editing the levels/models in 3D games, such as Half Life, Quake 3, Carmageddon 3, and Mortal Kombat 4. I noticed that these games all seem to use the technique of containing geometric data (vertices, points, etc.) in one file, and image data (bmps., etc.) in another. Is this what texture mapping is? Also, the image data always seems to be scattered around-- an arm here, a head there ... is this type of layout randomly chosen by the programmer, or is it preset by some 3D utility? From what I''ve read, I might be referring to UVMapping-- whatever that is (I just don''t know . How does whatever 3D app. know which parts of the "layout" to assign to each section of a model/level/object/etc.? Obviously, I''m a newbie to this all, so I hope these questions are at least SOMEWHAT comprehendible I''d greatly appreciate it if someone could explain these things to me. There doesn''t seem to be much "tutorial-wise" online. Thanks in advance... - JS
Please sign my petition! Visit the following URL: http://www.petitiononline.com/tftctvoh/petition.html
Advertisement
The layout of the image file is chosen by the artist who textures the model. When he textures a part of the model, he selects the texutre he created, and then gives coordinates on that texture to each vertex. Those x,y coordinates are the UV mapping you have read about.

The program knows what parts to assign, because per vertex it is stored where to look in the image file ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement