The new GeForce

Started by
9 comments, last by Jonathan 24 years ago
I hate to post something this inconsequential, but I have to say something about the new GeForce 2 GTS Holy mother of monkeys. Is it just me, or does this thing boast everything 3dfx's Voodoo 5 is boasting? That is, except for the external power supply Dost I hear the sound of nails being driven into a coffin? Jonathan P.S. - I forgot to say all I meant to. It seems to boast everything the Voodoo 5 does(Giga-pixel? Nah! Giga-texel in this case, along with that spiffy full-scene anti-aliasing), along with it's TnL engine, plus a whole slew of per-pixel calculations, like lighting and bump mapping and blah blah blah. Gives me tingles to think of what a clever coder could do with that thing Edited by - Jonathan on 4/27/00 12:18:22 AM
Advertisement
I agree with Jonathan.

Voodoo5 is far behind GeForce2GTS and behind the new ATI chip as well.
Yes. It looks like I''m going to have to forsake 3DFX. I''ve seen video of the GeForce2 in action, and I have to say, HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! I''m making an RPG with D3D in Visual Basic, and I plan to incorporate TnL in it. Sorry 3Dfx, but I am not going to buy your Voodoo 5

Shinryuu64
Solenoid Software Interactive
http://solenoid.50megs.com
shinryu64@kiss-my.as
Shinryuu64Solenoid Software Interactivehttp://solenoid.50megs.comshinryu64@kiss-my.as
Now NVidia should open-source the damn hardware registers so we can REALLY hack the card .

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
It really seems great, everything Nvidia makes is good. When I got my computer it was about a year ago so I got a cheap tnt 1 and decided to get a tnt2 ultra when it came out, but by the time they came out geforce was just on the horizon, unfortunately the DDR Ram geforce wasn''t, but now that the DDR ram version is out the geforce 2 is here. I guess I should just get a gforce2
*poof*

*watches the vapour leave the room*

Im very skeptical of just about everything. 3dFx has already made a release date for the V4/5...thats convincing enough for me.

*kazaam*

Ø

I''m taking more of a wait and see attitude towards the new crop of video cards. The specs. are indeed impressive, but at the heart of the issue is that''s all they are .. specs. Until I see some games running on production hardware, using release quality drivers I am reserving judgement.. Just my 2 cents tho..

PreManDrake
check out gamespot thats where I found out about it. They have some pictures of the antialiasing and tested some games.

Edited by - Myopic Rhino on 4/27/00 9:35:58 PM
If you want to see a proper review of GeForce2 GTS - go to www.tomshardware.com.

It is very good, however I understand there are some issues with memory bandwidth which stop it from reaching its full potential as the successor of GeForce.

I can''t wait to see how the Voodoo5 6000 cards (if they ever come out....arrgghhh!!) compete. They are either going to hold their own or depending on how many T&L titles there are (I count one good one - see DMZG / The Whole Experience, I''ll be turfing my Voodoo2 cards if they won''t run that mother of a game) fizzle out big-time.

Paulcoz.
Have a look at what ATI says would beat the crap out of Geforce2 and Voodoo5. If they can squeeze all that into one chip, they''ve got themselves a damn good product.

http://www.ati.com/na/pages/showcase/radeon/console.html
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement