The Western: FPS? RPG? RTS?

Started by
106 comments, last by bishop_pass 21 years, 3 months ago
Ouch! Perhaps I need to brush up on my American history (only whores had Smith & Wessons? I was just going by what''s popular in Kentucky''s Western Shops.)... And as for holding my horses, I''m a professional artist in the Army, so I''m used to putting my foot in my mouth and chewing. If you give me a project, I''m sure to complete it and complete it with at least standard quality. And for a project like this, standard quality with the diversive cohesion of these objects will put it damn well near industry standard. Notice, I''m only an artist who can draw well and is good with Photoshop. As for 3d landscapes and (my favorite hobby) character modeling, I''m still not getting paid to do that yet. I do have CAD experience, so drawing the layout for buildings should be a sinch aside from the research that will be needed for periodical style. And I believe that I can make such characters in DXF. and then import them into Lightwave and Animate from there.
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
Advertisement
Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive.

Excellent game, a bit like Commandos.
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
I feel special now. I've been quoted a few times. You think I'm stupid you REALLY think I'm stupid!!! lol

Anyway, that Desperados thing is cool, but it's an isometric view. To take it a step further, it should be a 3d a RPG/ACTION/FPS with 3PS option.

(Sorry if I use forceable language like "should", but it's the only garantee that my opinions are even consitered. If I was going in the corperate side, I would kiss a$$. It's just circimstancial language.) (Either that, or I've been watching too much TV.)

[edited by - smiley4 on December 12, 2002 2:38:42 PM]
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
quote:Original post by smiley4
Anyway, that Desperados thing is cool, but it''s an isometric view. To take it a step further, it should be a 3d a RPG/ACTION/FPS with 3PS option.

Agreed. I''m not a big fan of isometric views. About the only isometric view I could probably stomach would be a ''non-isometric'' view as in Neverwinter Nights, which actually exhibits true persepctive. First person is good, but there''s also something attractive about a 3rd person view - provided it had a dynamic camera, gave closeups, and so on.
Also, if anyone is willing to pitch in to help me by Virtools Dev and Physics pack, feel free. It''s only 5K+, lol.
quote:Original post by smiley4
Also, if anyone is willing to pitch in to help me by Virtools Dev and Physics pack, feel free. It''s only 5K+, lol.

Since you''re the most enthusiastic person here (aside from me) which of the above roles that I posted would you be interested in? I''m not claiming to be project director of anything here at this moment - I''m merely seeing where people''s talents, interests and focus lie. I realize you already said that you do art, but, to be more precise, exactly which of the above roles could yyou fulfill?

All of the design elements I could do. But to do all of them myself would require a lot of time for research and development to give the western elements a stylized approch. I mean let''s face it; if all the props, costumes, railroads, scenery, locations,and more importantly, the mods that can be customized are to work in cohesion; then they better not take up too much space on the hard drive.

As for anything with code, I don''t have a clue, but I believe I can pick up on a visualy-based programming system like Virtool Dev with its Physics plugin and let the programmers streamline the code to take up less room. With a little more practice, I can make realistic mods to use for such an environment, but my experience now is only based in animation.

To put it short, anything that requires that I impliment graphics, I can do. As for drawing up a diagram for interactivity, I can do it with a little help because I''m still rusty at it.

In any business, even if it''s just for the reward of having a demo to show to others, it''s best that we work as a team. When we are starting out like this, we should build off of each other''s expertice, opinions, and value each other''s input. What would we like in a game and what seems realistic? Once we have a plan, communication plays a bigger role than just our individual skills, because the more we communicate, the more we can learn and the more we can do with better quality than we thought we could. The instant we stop working as a team, the project itself suffers, thus producing shoddy work.
I'm part of the creative side of the house. Now I COULD create music, but I would require a MIDI setup with editable programming, like a Clavinova, since my live performance talents are shight. I play by ear, had only about 4 years of off and on practice, and I've been out of practice for about a year, if that gives you a clue why. As for my expertice in sound editing, I can do adiquete work but I'm no where near as good as my neighbor. (To bad he doesn't want to make games...)

And thank you for saying that I'm enthusiastic, because I am. I've been wanting to express my creative side for a long time but not be in the foreground like a pop star. And making content for games is a way to do this. I'll draw my insperation from movies, books, and all other forms of media. But I will value the input I get from others and incorperate it into the progression of the content.

[edited by - smiley4 on December 12, 2002 5:36:48 PM]
bishop: You seem to already have a wealth of knowledge with regards to the era and various related subjects that I don''t come close to, but I''d like to do some research and contribute in some way if I can, if there is going to be a project here.

My skills are pretty much in the area of concept and 2-D art. Game design is something everyone can contribute to, and something I''ve been interested in and researching for a couple of years. So, doing research and design in areas like props, costumes, architecture, and transportation with accompanying concept sketches and possibly textures would be possible for me. I could also contribute to system and culture design, with maybe a limited role in map and terrain generation.

On to the subject.

Weapons and Fighting Mechanics:

Are you thinking strictly RPG-style turn/round-based, or more of a hybrid between FPS and RPG skills? Here''s what I think regarding the latter.

A large and diverse set of weapons that are as accurate as possible for the time frame is spot on. Realism would be the general tone governing all areas of system design, but fun first if it comes down to it.

Caliber, velocity, range, and accuracy with regards to firearms could depend solely on the type and quality of item, or be additionally governed further by player skills that are gained. An aiming reticle could exist, and it''s size would vary depending upon a gun''s caliber, quality (which could also affect accuracy and firing rate etc.). The more shoddy a gun is in quality, the wider the reticle, simulating the less-accurate spread of fired rounds, and in turn a better (more expensive) quality gun would have a tighter reticle.

The reticle could also be taken a step further to simulate realism and widen while running, jumping, moving, and becoming tighter when prone, kneeling, or just standing still.

Gained player skills could also control accuracy, firing rate, rate of decay, etc. Initially though, it seems like some of this overlaps, and may enter into an area of diminishing returns. More thought needed.

Hand-wielded and thrown weapons could do varying damage based on type, quality, and trained player skill as well, but the matter of actually hitting a target would again be ultimately controlled in real-time by the player.

Map and Terrain Generation:

The use of DEMs is a good idea. I don''t own it, but I''ve done a lot of research on the Torque engine, which would seem to be a good choice here for a couple reasons. Many people have contributed code sources like a foliage replicator, grass replicator (with swaying grass =), day/night cycle resources, starfields etc. Obviously some of this would probably have to be modified and/or optimized, but a lot of the groundwork has been laid due to the nature of the community. I like the idea of being able to design and "plug in" area-correct vegetation and paint the terrain. I''m not trying to sell anything though, and I''m the farthest thing from a coder, so take that as you will.

Props, Costumes, Architecture:

The links you''ve already provided are cool. A specific time frame would probably have to be nailed down before serious research begins and concept sketches are churned out.

Your description of the architecture makes it sound much more interesting than I had initially conceived. Sounds neat. It''s all in the details.

Various culture designs:

Would be extremely important to creating a believable dialog, and the primary asset of the writer/quest designers.

Horse System:

In my mind extremely important. The system should be simple and intuitive, but based on the cost/quality (breed, training etc.) of the animal and trained player skill.

I think at base level skill the horse should not ever be unresponsive totally, but will respond less-quickly to turning, running, etc. As player skill and animal cost/quality rise, so does responsiveness, higher jumps, more accuracy when using firearms, stopping speed, top speed. Some of the more intricate actions, such as cutting and pirouetting might be unattainable without the proper skill or quality/type of animals.

Different types of horses for different uses. Pack mule, work horse, speedy roan, another breed known for it''s jumping ability maybe, who knows. Some with less carrying capacity, some demand less upkeep (which ulitmately translates to money). Item decay could cause it to eventually break a leg, and have to be put down. =)

smiley: Your enthusiasm is inspiring, keep it up man.

Iron Chef absolutely nailed it on his last post. I totally agree.

I think the possibilities are enormous, and I''m clueless on why the genre has been effectively untapped so far. I think it also lends itself well to a MORPG type of format as well.

I don''t have many drawings scanned yet, but I could produce some random stuff if pressed. I have a couple images from another game project I worked on months ago.
quote:Original post by Polish
bishop: You seem to already have a wealth of knowledge with regards to the era and various related subjects that I don''t come close to, but I''d like to do some research and contribute in some way if I can, if there is going to be a project here.

Let''s assume that there tentatively is the makings of a project here, at this point, without obligating anyone to anything yet. In other words, I would like to encourage some actual work on the project, without truly formalizing it to the nth degree at this point.

I realize that a more formal agreement and spec is ultimately necessary, but it''s just a little bit premature. However, I also don''t want to preclude those who are interested (including myself) from actually acheiving real work in addition to mere discussion and thinking.

If anyone can do 3d modeling, I would love to see some prototypes, specifically related to horses and pistols, but in general, everything.

I can code, and I know quite a bit about 3d rendering. I personally would like to start in on some aspects of this whole thing.

But as was mentioned, communication is very important. For example, I don''t want to see anyone just start making 3d models of a horse without consulting with me. At the risk of sounding contradictory, I believe specs and communication are necessary before anyone can just start doing real work.

Is there a place where we could setup our own private forum for discussion, aside from EZBoard, because for some reason my username got messed up there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement