Crystal Interactive? Please read.

Started by
7 comments, last by AtypicalAlex 24 years ago
I just got an email from Crystal Interactive offering to publish my game. I''d heard of them a LITTLE until now but not really. Their site was less than impressive but apparently they can get games into like 30,000 retail stores in 30+ countries. I need to know if anyone here has heard of these guys and if you know anything about them. Please respond, thanks. Alex Atypical Interactive www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Advertisement
>apparently they can get games into like 30,000 retail stores in 30+ countries.

Why do you know this "apparently"?
Did you see published games in many retail stores?

Chris H
Well, the email he sent me boasted this fact, and I''d heard of a couple of games that they''ve published...

As I very very recently recieved this email I have not yet had the chance to look for one of their games in a retail store.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Please give me a list of games they have published...better yet cut&paste the email if you can. I''ve worked in marketing and retail and I''ve got a hunch as to who they are. I''ll do some digging for you man.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
If it is www.crystal-interactive.com then stay the hell away from them. These titles didn''t even make it into an Electronics Boutique or Babbages budget section. Even more rather than that they have a warez mole in their company. You''ll see your game published fast at over 30,000 warez sites, not stores. I''d say you''re better off just making your own website and paying the $500 to have a demo listed on the cnet network instead of wasting it with them.

I think that any posts about developers that are this accusatory should be backed up with real hard evidence. I have seen games in Electronics Boutique that have got there through Crystal Interactive, also in GAME. I also dont see any evidence of a link with warez.
There arent many publishers interested in independent developers, I think we should be carefull of wrongly accusing those who DO help indide developers unless we DO have hard evidence.

http://www.positech.co.uk
I concur. m1dn1ght, please give me some evidence if you can, as this is very important to me. Crystal Interactive has a much better deal than Xtreme Games OR eGames.

P.S. Crystal Interactive was just made a full subsidiary of NutriData ... this could mean that any warez moles will be wiped out.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
Sorry for sounding so ''accusatory'' but no I have not seen a retail box by them hit the stores. You can check this up by entering a search for ''Subspace'', their latest title into company sites such as ebworld.com, etc. Newer releases are listed on this website and Subspace wasn''t one of them. As to hardcore evidence as to who the mole is, no I have none except for the fact that some of their games, ie Subspace were released on those channels about a week before publishing.
Now I could look to 2 places usually if the developer was also a large company, but we are talking about indie groups which generally don''t have a tendancy to do a warez release. That just leaves the publisher, as such things are generally shipped to any retail homeoffice a few days before launch, not a week ahead.
And no, frankly I am not trying to point the big finger (even though I came off that way), but I am advising you to use caution in dealing with them. Be careful out there man.

Dear participants of this forum,

My name is Alex de Vries and I''m the President and CEO of Crystal Interactive LLC, which is the topic of your discussion I believe. We have recently been acquired by Nutridata Software Corp. who have been in business since 1987, and only recently concentrate their efforts on games. We offer our developers between 10% and 25% on the trade price of their titles, which is a LOT better then any of the competitors mentioned in the other postings of this forum. I am not saying we''re the biggest and the best publisher around, as we''re NOT. But one thing we do promise is a fair cut of the proceeds for the developer and MONTHLY royalty payments, as opposed to the quarterly (or in some cases 9-monthly!) cycles our colleagues tend to offer. I personally think it''s quite shallow to simply state that most of our titles would not make it into EB or any other retailer as they DO. Just not as stand alone products. We bundle 2 or 3 titles into one product with just the value for money criterium in mind.

Our distribution consists of 30.000+ retail stores in 30+ countries and a growing racking programme in another 30.000 drug stores, which will eventually become a 130.000 strong racking programme. If you take into consideration that we can sell a $9.95 jewel case product (nothing fancy) into these channels for $5 trade price. The racking programme guarantees us 5 or 6 copies sold of each title to each store participating and this is 30.000 x 5 units = 150.000 copies sold of each title. With the ''normal'' distribution channels still open we reckon at least 50.000 more can be sold worldwide. So if you go with Crystal Interactive you''ll sell about 200.000 copies of a relatively simple title, with the chance on MUCH more. Admitted, this won''t make you a millionaire overnight but 200.000 x $5 = $1.000.000. YOU get 25% of this which is $250.000,-. Now this is definately something nobody else can offer you. EVER!

With regards to the comments on our website I''d say that everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Furthermore if you visit http://www.crystal-interactive.com now you''ll see the reasons for technical problems we experienced. We''re only human afterall

Fact is that we deliver the goods and actually do what we promise. Which doesn''t rule out the odd problem, but hey nobody''s perfect!

I hope this has clearified our standpoints to some degree and you''re welcome to drop me a line. That''s Alex at alexdv@nutridata.com.

Thanks for taking time to read this,

Alex de Vries
President and CEO
Crystal Interactive LLC
"A Nutridata Company"
http://www.crystal-interactive.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement