Neural networks in games

Started by
1 comment, last by manuelb 21 years, 4 months ago
Are the neural networks very used in games? Neural networks are more used on things like pattern recognition, and group classification. But in games we need planning and have goals to do in a sequence according to the time. How can we use neural networks on a time context, where one thing only have a meaning knowing what went first? -------------------------- Rory Gallagher blues will never die. ---------------------------
--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT
Advertisement
quote:Original post by manuelb
Are the neural networks very used in games?

More so now than say 5 years ago, but still they are only used very occassionally. I''d estimate that the proportion of games released that use ANNs for the game AI is much less than 1%.

quote:Original post by manuelb
Neural networks are more used on things like pattern recognition,
and group classification. But in games we need planning and have goals to do in a sequence according to the time.
How can we use neural networks on a time context, where one thing only have a meaning knowing what went first?

This sort of sequential decision problem (where one decision follows another and depends on the current state, which was arrived at from the previous state and the previous decision) is called a Markov Decision Problem. ANNs are not the best general method for solving MDPs, although they can be applied in some domains. A recurrent neural network is the most obvious ANN model to use, where the output decision is fed back in to the input layer along with the new state, which generates a new output decision, which in turn is fed back into the input layer with the latest state... and so on.

You should be able to find a wealth of information online regarding Markov Decision Problems and their solutions.

Good luck,

Timkin
Thank''s Timkin. I''m thinking I will do a research about using neural networks on sequential decision for my college tesis. What I like on neural networks is the ability of generalization and abstraction(very important for games). Another thing is the possibility of doing auto content creation(very important for today''s very large games).

--------------------------
Rory Gallagher blues will never die.
---------------------------
--------------------------Rory Gallagher and Chico Science music !!!!!!!---------------------------____||~~~~|/TT

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement