what lang. is the best to start programming?

Started by
195 comments, last by caandom 21 years, 3 months ago
I learned in this order...
1. QBasic (using 4.5 IDE - Good for learning concepts behind programming. Note I wrote one succesfull shareware program with this... Only now it is pretty outdated... Hehe...)
2. C++ (I did DOS at first... Then I did Windows!!! Then I bought Jim Adams book Programming RPG''s with DX 8. I understood what I was doing only I don''t like C++ too well. I guess It grows on you !)
3. Java (Much better to transfer to first, I wish I had learned it before C++. It would have made learning C++ soooo much easier. It doesn''t bother you with with too many details.)
4. VB 5 (Good for Windows, I didn''t like it much... But what the heck)
6. VB .NET (Now that it has OO it is much better. I am currently using this to learn DX 9. So far so good.)

After all of this I''d say start with Java the go to C++. Don''t be afraid to try other languages though. It doesn''t hurt. Besides it all depends on what your interested in doing, and which you like the best.

Why sleep? You can do that when your dead.

(Hope you don''t mind if I borrow this: )
Why sleep? You can do that when your dead.(Hope you don't mind if I borrow this: )
Advertisement
I''ll wager that many of the people recommending C++ as a good beginner''s language and claiming they had no problem learning it are not very good C++ programmers themselves. Unskilled and unaware of it.
quote:
I''ll wager that many of the people recommending C++ as a good beginner''s language and claiming they had no problem learning it are not very good C++ programmers themselves. Unskilled and unaware of it.

so very, VERY TRUE!

If you are just starting out, pick up a language that will teach you the basic programing concepts...loops, conditional operations, variables...You need to build a good programing foundation, upon which other concepts can be applied...so learn those basics backwords and forwards, as no matter how powerfull/usefull a programing language is...it allways boils down to those simple concepts to do all the work...

I started with Learn to Program Basic Jr. High Edition by Interplay and then that started my programming days.

tcache
Contact Me
-----------
Games don''t affect kids. If Pac-man had affected us, we''d all be sitting in darkened rooms munching pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music. -- Kristian Wilson(Nintendo Inc., 1989)
tcacheContact Me-----------AH! MY BRAIN IS GOING TO SELF-DETONATE! -- Yours Truly (Jan, 2003)
My first programming language was BASIC but I would suggest learning Java first. The learning curve is not as large as C++ although I learned that before Java (along with a crapload of other languages). Like others have said in this thread, I wish I wouldve learned Java before C++. You get the power of OOP without the pain in the butt syntax (for beginners) of C++. Once you understand Java and OOP principles, the jump to C++ will be soooo much easier.

insert witty signature here
-------------------------http://www.roachpuppy.com
//--

//--

Is it a problem for you if some simply are more talented than you?

Besides, the original poster mentioned basic FYI(your earlier response)
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is it a problem for you if some simply are more talented than you?

What does that have to do with what I said? People should not claim C++ is easy to learn if they are novices themselves. It''s my suspicion that many people here are not paid to develop software.
That is precisely my point. You should not assume people are beginners just because they state that c/c++ was a breeze to learn or at least you made it sound like that.

And also them being paid or not makes no difference as far as
talent goes.

I believe in more informative help when someone asks a question. Too often I have seen downright rude attitudes towards people asking for help (Not talking about you, actual person shall remain nameless). If you feel someone is lacking help them out rather than writing some (for them) useless piece of answer.
I learned C before anything else and I would recommend you do the same. If you try to learn C++ first, I think that the object oriented theory that they might throw at you might cause confusion and possibly frustration. "C for Dummies" is a great book with a humorous author and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

Don''t get me wrong though, C++ and OO is waiting on deck for you to learn next.
Well I started with the Turing language which is easy to teach you about the structures of programming like variables,selections,sequences and loops.

Then I learned C. And now I''m about to finish learning C++ and I must say Object Oriented programming really makes big programs easier to manage.

But I would recommand learning procedural programming before going to OO.

I would recommand Smalltalk before C++ though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement