Video RAM Question

Started by
5 comments, last by Isolier 23 years, 12 months ago
Hey, how much video ram do you guys have? Do you think it is safe to assume\build code around 2mb of video ram? The only reason I am asking is because I myself only have one meg of video ram on my main video card(in other words not counting the voodoo2).
Advertisement
It depends on the target platform, but in general, I would have to say that designing around 2MB is safe. I personally have 8MB on my card. My last card had 2MB, which was the card that came with the computer, when it was new two years ago.
My video card has 32 megs of RAM
The card before that had 4 megs and the card before that had 2 mb and before that I had 1 meg.

Most of my friends also have 32 megs.
I have 32 Mb of VIDEO RAM and most of my friends have 8 Mb.

The game i''m making will need 2.3 Mb of VIDEO RAM to be launched, 4 to be enjoyed and 8 to be really "perfect".

Hope it will work

Visit our website (french) : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/loaded/
On both of my computers I''ve got a 32Mb video card.

Notice that I think assuming people have a 4Mb video card is safe.

I think you can even assume they''ve got a 8Mb card.

Remember you can find a ''good'' 3D card with 4/8Mb for a very small price, and gamers have most of the time very recent hardware.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I''ve got 32MB DDR RAM on a Creative Geforce card. I would say that 2 MB is the least you can expect, but I would try and load as much data into VRAM as possible to get best performance, with some kind of built-in priority system.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
i have 16M on a voodo3 card
and i also have 4M on a S3 DX/GX 2D card
and 8M on a S3 Savage card

But take care that ALMOST ALL laptops have only 2.5M !

even today.....
obysoft

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement