How could I portray insanity & strangeness in a logo?

Started by
44 comments, last by Extrarius 21 years ago
Add some more gore to it. Nothing wrong with a lil blood
Advertisement
quote:Original post by ph4ntasyc0d3
Add some more gore to it. Nothing wrong with a lil blood

there is blood, but you can''t see it well in the small version (with the border cut off). The dark black patches are really just a dark red (well, some of them are dark blue but mostly dark red)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Gee, I thought you ignored the rest of the posts entirely.

Nice effort definitely
I think "psychedelic" applies to the first attempts, whereas this last one is much more in the area of "criminally insane" in my opinion...
I like the dirty metallic background that looks scracthed and dented. And the corroded writing is a nice touch.
One thing I do notice in all the graphics is the over abundance of patterns, repetition. You do the same thing here.
Now dont get me wrong, I am only trying to be constructive here, I am not trying to criticise just to annoy you

I like the idea of what you have done to the background but it looks a bit like you just used a filter and repeated a "dent" pattern all over the place. (the writing is a very cool touch though). Strangely the linear scratches work well for me, but I think the dents are just too repetitive. You can see the pattern a mile away.

The actual title is quite cool. I like the choice of colours which IMHO is much more focused than your previous attempts. With a limited number of colours, you can then reuse them in the webpage for your titling and text. Maybe gray background and light gray, kaki and brown for titles and other important text ?

Did I mention that actually writing "Crazy" kinda of defeat the whole purpose ? I assume you use the word as a benchmark ?
Did you try various other fonts as we suggested ? Did you look at Crazy Killer (IIRC), or titling similar to that of Se7en ?
Oh, an maybe dont overdo the crazy orientation thing to much ?

In fact, if I may suggest a more subjective opinion (as if I was objective so far), maybe keep the A the way it is now, but make it even more embellished ? I dunno about you, but an inverted A does for a nice basis for a pentagram, with all the satanistic implications that carries. Then again, you might not want so much symbolism...

Altogether, a remarkable evolution from your first attempts
(and sorry for sounding so patronising)

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Does this one look better:
http://art.psychosanity.com/crazy11.jpg

I tried to make the background look less patterened.
EDIT: The text mislabeled this one as #10 when it should be #11.

[edited by - Extrarius on March 22, 2003 2:11:42 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
It looks dark. Pretty cool too, but I dunno about "insane"

Death Smiles Upon Us All... All We Can Do Is Smile Back...
_______________________Dancing Monkey Studios
If nothing else, I have to give you credit for efforts

Something I just realised while reading up on "The Ring" (BTW, dont be a fool, and go watch the original instead... they didnt invent subtitles for nothing !)
Simplicity works very well. I think the "madness" comes from the apparent childishness of the writing as opposed to the gloomy/dark/brooding surroundings elements and the choice of colours.
In your case, as I stated previously, I think the colours are quite good at this point. Maybe *some* stains of rust would do nicely rather than those strange blueish ones ?
The dents were a nice touch, the only problem was that you had so many of them and clearly aligned to each other which killed the effect. Remember, less is more.

And it works for font styles too. I was watching the logo for the movie and it''s actually quite brilliant ! (I dunno about the movie though, I will not lower myself to watch a stupid remake). In fact, I looked at the original posters and I think this one is much better and appropriate. Very much in line with the general style of the movie where the horror is very restrained and "un-showy" (if that makes any sense).
It''s very much in line with the font style in seven. Check out this web page !
Doesn''t that look great ?

Anyway, I am running out of time, but I hope those examples are more in line with what you are trying to transmit ?
If I get a bit of time, I''d love to do a little example myself, after all, it''s easy to criticise, but if I dont show anything to back up my ideas...

Good luck

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
When you say "crazy" and "strange" what do you mean by that? There are many forms of insanity, there's the drug-induced pyhcodelic trip of your first few with all the vibrant colors and dizzy shapes. Then, there is the almost morbid kind that is like the earth-toned one that you most recently came up with -- I was wanting to see blood dripped over the earth. You are right with the black and white look if you are going for the schizophrenic style of insanity because not many people see through the eyes of a color-blind -- I would take it a step further and create scratches and burns in the whole viewing area to indicate a beyond not-so-normal look that indicates soiled thought.

[edited by - smiley4 on March 24, 2003 4:38:36 PM]
Now I shall systematicly disimboule you with a .... Click here for Project Anime
use a VERY simple layout, such as a square, hexagonal, or triangular grid, and arrange totally unrelated things: a barbie eating a fish liver, a zombie hula-hooping, a star jumping out of the water, a shadow where the head starts at the caster''s feet and the feet end where the shadow caster''s head should be- keep it simple.

also, simple machines with unexplained or misunderstood physics should be present as well- a pendulum, a ball-knocker thing with skulls instead of balls and a child playing with them and holding a bleeding, headless doll in the other hand- and for the best effect, couple them with things that are obviously horrific, but portray them in a light that gives them more depth than the simple ''i''m going to kill you'' cliche. a good example is an old lady holding the hand of a smiling child- who is nine feet tall and holding a bloodied tinker-toy hammer while grinning- and spoon feeding him with a ladel as long as her arm.

third, don''t be afraid to incorporate nudity: if you''re portraying a demon princess, and she has no tits, it''s not going to be very convincing without a scar or some other visual impediment that would prevent the viewing of such things.

fourth, use lots of medical instruments: straight jackets, vices, clamps, forceps, tweezers, scalpels, and what have you. these blend the mood from just plain whacked to somewhat controlled insanity- and if the corpse of a doctor is shown, it portrays a mood that shows how uncontrollable these experiments are. some things that might be good inspirations are some of daniel oulette''s work, the work from www.vomitus.com, and the concept art and box art of resident evil. also, on an individual scale, a great many of brom''s works border on insanity- the sheer detail of reality is all that holds them to the ground- and some of the things such as soulblighter from myth II, books such as moorcocks hawkmoon, tanith lee''s delusion''s master, and sean stewart''s galveston also give a good creepy/insane mood. lots of these things you probably won''t use, but give them a thought- and another, and you''ll come up with something we''ll all want to see.

-Choscura
Kintuckit!!!
I think number 10 is the best.
I tried something around this... After reading this thread of course :D

http://www.ffasylum.com/~ganryu/art/Insanity3.jpg

It''s a simple ABC, but i kinda like it. The only thing i''m not sure if i like is the graininess of the background layer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement