English Sucks

Started by
116 comments, last by SHilbert 23 years, 11 months ago
Well, when it comes to pronunciation/spelling rules, yes English sucks. However, English is the most spoken language in the world (not native, just most spoken), so basically everyone knows it. Plus, English has one of the biggest vocabularies, which can be either good or bad, depending on how you look at it .

The best thing about English: basically no conjugations!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Advertisement
The only reason why english spelling rules are so messed up is because the language changed drastically, but word spelling stayed the same. The letter ''C'' used to be pronounced like a ''K'' all the time. All silent letters used to be pronounced, and english use to use more letters that represented different sounds. When the letters stopped being used because noone in the rest of Europe wanted to print them, letter combinations were used like "gh" as in "bought". The "gh" used to sound like someone clearing their throat. After a while, the gh fell silent and when the sound dropped out of english.

English used to sound very much like German. English is a German language. Most of the latin came from the French, when William of Normandy conquered england.

Domini
I would never have guessed you were Scandinavian, Muzzafarath. I guess that renders my argument invalid.

lntakitopi@aol.com | http://geocities.com/guanajam/
I personally dont think that there is anything wrong with the ''proper'' English language, that crap you americans speak(you seem to think its English) is totally fucked up though . But maybee im a little biased If theres one language that confuses the f*** out of me, its gotta be Dutch, they speak too damn fast, its just as well they can speak English too(better than some English people i know ). German is a pretty good language, its got to be one of the better/easier to learn, beats French hands down any day, but im probably biased on this too, having lived in Germany.
Ooops... that last post was by me, incase anyone wants to send a few flames my way
boto maior fé nesse lance de não falar inglês , inglês é moito estranho socomé você fala uma letra e faz som de outra. pô assim não dá eu quero falar na minha propia lingua meu. eu quero dizer: linqüiça, jabuticaba, vide-gueime, maracúja, guarána, guarda-chuva... etc

eu quero poder me expressar do jeito que eu quiser, mas os gríngos ficam aperriando com esse negócio de inglês, ai não tem jeito , mas pelo menos todo mundo fica de prova que não gosto de fazer isso

- vou dar porrada!!!!
English is what people in England speak. What most of you are talking about is American English, which is an entirely different beast.

But what a magnificent beast it is. It is not unreasonable to imagine that thousands of years after the USA is dead and largely forgotten that professionals in such fields as computer programming and aviation will be using words such as kludge and tarmac without a clue as to where these terms came from.

Professionals in the legal and medical fields couldn''t operate without profuse use of latin, a language which has been dead for over a millenium. Rome was, in her heyday, the cultural imperialist''s answer to Atilla the Hun. Today, it''s the USofA.

Perhaps the most amusing thing about this language is that it not only exports itself, it imports as well. Mecha is a word that is used commonly to describe giant humanoid robotic fighting machines. It''s a term of Japanese origin, borrowed from the english word ''mechanical''.

$0.02
Thats gotta be some kind of sick joke right??? The words Culture and USA are not something i would put into the same sentence, unles you add the words Seriously and Lacking in there
Quote from original message : "Don''t you think it''s a little strange that someone like me, who''s been speaking English for 12 years, still doesn''t know how to talk or write correctly?"

Just like everyother god damn American.
Those last 2 posts were me again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement