Lisp is King

Started by
325 comments, last by bishop_pass 20 years, 6 months ago
Out of Control discusses Karl Sims' program. In another thread, I mentioned the significance of this, and here's what I believe it is: Each of the works created by Sims' program have a unique style. Traditional languages tend to produce work which is undeniably stamped with a fixed style that doesn't seem to change. Yes, we change the parameters, and the output changes, but in the end, it bores us, because we can see it's very monotone with respect to its style.

We see the same in the behavior or NPCs, or CRPG worlds. In the end, the product suffers from what I would call inflexible growth. The problem is that although the parameters can be adjusted, the underlying functionality can't be. This dovetails with what I was saying in an earlier post in this thread where I said that Lisp allows the user to update and add to the functionality of the program at runtime, not necessarily through programming in Lisp, but in using the interface that the program provides.

[edited by - bishop_pass on March 6, 2003 8:11:19 PM]
Advertisement
You could do the same thing in PERL.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
I reccomend the book "ANSI Common Lisp" if you want a book. I find it to be a lot better than the free books on the internet, and it explains things in a way that(imo) help move to the different way of thinking needed to use Lisp effectively. It also has a function reference in the back, and it has lots of examples of real Lisp code (like token parsing, pathfinding, etc). It also shows how almost every Lisp function could be implemented using other Lisp functions and gives a lot of examples of doing so (though the examples aren''t full implementations of the functions, they do the basics. they just don''t support all the extra options).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I think it would be interesting to see some debate from the other side. The people who have used and do not like lisp. Since there don''t seem to be many lisp users here in the first place, I don''t think the chances of getting a counterargument are very likely. The only thing I have heard counter to it is that it is a broken implementation of lambda calculus.

Gamedev for learning.
libGDN for putting it all together.
An opensource, cross platform, cross API game development library.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Quick! Which lisp implementation should I use? (Im on a Win32 system BTW!)
Yes, I would also like a good recommendation on a free Lisp implementation for Win32. There are so many, it is hard to choose! Preferably one that can compile (if that''s even possible!), and can link to external libraries so you could maybe use OpenGL and stuff. I might really get into this Lisp stuff - it sounds exciting.

Firebird Entertainment
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Lisp looks really interesting. I''d like to learn more about it. What programming paradigms does it support? How does it work? What is it good for?
quote: Out of Control discusses Karl Sims'' program.

That is the most interesting bit of reading I''ve done in a long time. If anyone has more links on Lisp and what it can do, I''d love to see them.

500x9
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
quote:Original post by Naaga
[...]If anyone has more links on Lisp and what it can do, I''d love to see them.[...]

Check out my profile, I''ve started several posts about Lisp that have gotten many replies (particularly the "What is so great about Lisp?" thread)

----------
Almost typo-ified using Extrarius'' AUTOMATIC Typo Generator, but I decided to be nice =-)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I use clisp for as a free Win32 Lisp interpreter.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm
quote:Original post by Tron3k
Preferably one that can compile (if that''s even possible!)

Don''t they all pretty much compile? Lisp is a compiled language, you know. It benchmarks close to C and C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement