Nice Fog-Volumes from Unreal?

Started by
30 comments, last by DarkKiller 21 years ago
Hi all, How did they code the Fog in Unreal, UT, UT2003 and Unreal2? If someone knows the UnrealEd: When you place a light somewhere, you can set a Fog-Value and a radius for the Fog. When you walk around in your world you can see the fog as some kind of soft-fog-ball around the light. Looks like real fog but much better than Tutorial 41! Does someone know how to do that? With best regards Dark
DarkMcNugget next time... ;)
Advertisement
those arn''t really fog, they are just alpha sprites... (most games will use additive sprites)..

as for unreal/UTs use of actual fog volumes (UT2/U2 don''t do these), well, I don''t really know. I could hazard a guess, but I don''t want to.
quake3s fog volumes on the other hand are much simpler.

| - Project-X - my mega project.. getting warmer - | - adDeath - an ad blocker I made - | - email me - |
Oh, RipTorn, please, tell us more about the simple fog volumes they use in quake3...
Doesn''t gametutorials.com have a GL volume fog tutorial? Could of swore seeing one...
Yes, they have: The fourth tutorial about Heightmaps.
But its the same idea like the new one from nehe.

I think what the id-software guys do it mixing the Fog-Volumes with blended sprites or planes. And they calculate the set up the fog value itself when walking through a Fog-Volume.
Sometimes I write like a stupid.

quote:
Yes, they have: The fourth tutorial about Heightmaps.
But its the same idea like the new one from nehe.

I think what the id-software guys do it mixing the Fog-Volumes with blended sprites or planes. And they calculate the set up the fog value itself when walking through a Fog-Volume.

I think what the id-software guys do is mixing the Fog-Volumes with blended sprites or planes. And they calculate the density of the fog itself when walking through a Fog-Volume. Much better I hope
thank you darkkiller
Yes I''m so great ... damn.
As far as I know, when Q3A and Unreal engine are compared against the fog volumes behaviour Q3 badly loses.

In Q3 a fog volume can only be AXIAL while in unreal 1 it was possible to create arbitrarly shaped fog volumes (at least in appereance - didn''t took a in-depth comparison).

The additive sprite generated by lights is not the shadow volume itself - this is usually applied thuru multitexturing. It is quite probably that the first unreal did fog volume calcolation on a per-vertex basis (I can remember some low-poly images in which fog looked bad) since it is obviously a low-energy information, however, I have an idea on how to do it per-pixel.

Previously "Krohm"

Hi again,

I worked with the UnrealEd for a long time and I always thought that the Fog looked great. Even in Unreal 1.

However, I would be very interested to know more about your idea!

Additive Sprite:
So you think the additive sprite is something like a simple lensflare?

I don''t really think so! I looks much better then a lensflare and you cannot find a filtered pixel...

Watch here: http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/index.php?P=editor#2-nebel
If you cannot read German, just look onto the pics. The Fog is much better then a simple Billboard.

Any ideas?

ps. the example is bad but its possible to have one light in a room sourrounded by fog.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement