2D texture rendering realtime?

Started by
32 comments, last by Ninkazu 21 years ago
I''ve been looking everywhere for how to do this, but I can''t find anything on it. Basically I''m trying to write and read from a texture to make a standard 2D fire effect to texture on to a cube. Is there any way to just have a buffer to read and write from for a texture? And is it fast enough to update each frame?
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
Advertisement
Come on, doesn''t anyone know?
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
You can just manage an array of colour values yourself, then copy them to a texture using glTexSubImage2D.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/opengl/glfunc03_2bqc.asp

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book
Every frame you must reload the texture with TexImage()...I dont see the problem...of course you need to perform FXs yourself (in DirectDraw is the same thing however

Is fast? It depends by the dimension of your texture and the complexity of the effect...the time to reload the texture is not significant.

Thanks you guys. I''ll try it out when I get some quality coding time
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
It should work fine, I believe this is how some games, like Quake 2, do dynamic lighting.

quote:
It should work fine, I believe this is how some games, like Quake 2, do dynamic lighting

I doubt!
Ok, I don''t understand the documentation. Say I was to have a DWORD array[256][256] for the special effect. How would I copy that into the texture?
Sayonara!~Ninkazu
Well the documentation says it all but here is what you must do.
I see that the data is grayscale so do this:

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,GL_LUMINANCE,256,256,0,GL_LUMINANCE,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,data);

P.S.
Quake2 doesn''t use dynamic lighting guys

The PAIN is coming...this summer!!!In cinemas everywhere.
Shoot a rocket past a wall.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement