Kid Programmer

Started by
28 comments, last by Gazebo 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi Gazebo,

I started programming around 8 years old and it was GWBasic. I remember taking home a book from the library that taught how to do the basics. (Such as printing text, moving stuff on the screen, taking input, etc) Then I moved up to QBasic right afterwards. My brother was learning it as well, so he taught me a few things and I started making some cool text games. After about 2 years of programming w/ that, I moved up to Visual Basic. The knowledge from QBasic actually helped me tremendously. All I had to learn was the controls and stuff which wasn''t too hard and was fun too. And now at the age of 14, I''m starting to program in OpenGL in VC++.

I strongly suggest in teaching him QBasic first, then moving him to VB, and then finaly to VC++. Because QBasic teaches you the math, screen sizes, pixels, etc. VBasic teaches you about how Windows works, controls, etc. And all of these are important to VC++. Plus there are tons and tons of resources for QBasic and VB on the net.

Just my two cents

Justin Eslinger
Quell
~-=-=-=-=-=-=~~Justin Eslinger~~.."BlackScar"..~~-=-=-=-=-=-=~
Advertisement
Two words: Dark Basic.
http://www.darkbasic.com
Shinryuu64Solenoid Software Interactivehttp://solenoid.50megs.comshinryu64@kiss-my.as
Doesn''t Dark Basic still require you to program, albeit in basic?
-Andreas
I''m 13, I started QBasic at 6, and VB at around 10. And C at 12. Give the kid a version of BASIC - he/she''ll love it.
I started at the age of 10... though that was 18 years ago I started with basic as well, within a year I was coding up ascii graphics stuff, within two I was replace unused parts of the ascii set with custom 8*8 bitmaps to make real looking graphics. At about 13-14 my 300Khtz processor couldn''t handle my game AI without a 1 second delay.

The best way to instant gratification is to get something(code) and modify it.The biggest problem you have is that kids these days are brought up know what to expect from a PC and could loose interest when their own creations don''t stack up againt Activisions\etc.. latest offerings...

gimp
Chris Brodie
Hiya,

I''ve got an 8 1/2 year old that started coding using Interplay''s "Learn to Program Basic" about 3 months ago. Now he''s got the basics down and has even done his own tiny MUD with some basic graphics associated to monsters and such.

It''s a really terrific program and I highly recommend it.

Check it out at: http://www.interplay.com/basic/index.html

Good luck!

-Krylar
Well, I started programming in QBasic at 7. And unless he wants an instant game, I suggest that he start out at this and move on to VB. However, I know how impatient a 9-year-old can be, but that''s my only suggestion. After he learns the basics of basic, he could get a "Game programming kit" of some sort for VB. I also had this book called The revolutionary guid to QBasic that pretty much got me into game programming. Just tell your son that the best way to make a game is to learn some sort of programming language. I suppose you could get klik & play, but as you said, it''s hard to find. Sorry if I couldn''t be of more help to you.

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
D:
Don''t get any type of klik & play kit, it''ll just confuse him and make it harder to learn to really program. Get him Qb, and make sure he doesn''t try anything too hard. I suggest he does a simple pacman as his biggest project. Those are easy, and get DirectQB, so it will be a lot easier for him (and make stuff look better). After doing some pacman clone, move him onto C++. It''ll probably be a year or 2 before he''s able to do a pacman clone though (depending on how smart and persistent he is). I have 2 games made in Qbasic, at my site below, but please don''t the game blocker, because the techniques I used suck really bad.

-piksel
My site
There is more advanched version of Klik and and Play called Games Factory. It has even scrolling. It''s kinda neat, because those games what I have seen have been very good small ones.

Time comes, time goes and I only am.
I have noticed in the shops now there is a games development suite called DIV.

Don''t know what its like, it does mention that there is a programming language to it and that it can do most types of games (RPG, 3D beat etc).

Does anyone have any comments on this tool? Personally, I still think the old fashion way is best but there again I''m a techie
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement