Html games

Started by
22 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 10 months ago
Would anyone be interested in assisting me in this game. The game design is completed. It''s very simple, it basically revolves around a combat engine and moving troops. I''d be happy to email it design document to anyone here that''d be willing to assist.
At the moment there is only two people involved. Myself (Game Design and Artist and dabbler in frontpage) and a friend who knows html and VB.
We''re just about to construct the game in VB to test the game balance.
I wouldn''t be asking for a marriage certificate from anyone just an interest atm. But if you would like to be officially included that can be done, happily, at any time ;-).
Consider this an open invitation to anyone who''s finds this subject of significant interest.

Advertisement
Just a design tip:
Make an engine seperated from the parsing of html, then you could actually make verioms of the game in xml, wml ......
just a thought
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Just a design tip:
Make an engine seperated from the parsing of html, then you could actually make verioms of the game in xml, wml ......
just a thought

My apologies but what do you mean by verioms?

Verioms = Versions
just another way to say it.

in other news,
i may be able to help you out, what do you need?
my email is mark_strendin@yahoo.ca
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

Just a design tip:
just a thought

Is this somewhere along the lines of... each person that loads the screen up would see a different web page? or something like that.

quote:Original post by Tsutomegi

Verioms = Versions
just another way to say it.

in other news,
i may be able to help you out, what do you need?
my email is mark_strendin@yahoo.ca

As i noted in the email, we know that portions of the screen can be updated without updating the entire page. This would significantly increase the refreshment speed.

The issue i''m fighting over with myself at the moment is will the game have to become completely turn based. I really wanted to keep a real time feel to it. Because once it becomes a turn based game then it might as well be a email game which is not what i''m tring to achieve.

Can you give a link to your design doc, or post the details?, I am curious about a real-time html game displayed via a 10 min refresh. (Sounds like a very long playing game and I dig serious strategy...)

I think the statement about splitting your engine from the html/xml parsing is more about flexability in display formatting than session management. If all of your game logic is seperated from the display logic, then you can change the display logic without modification to your game code. You can also support different views, IE one person could access the game via the web, another via a stand-alone application.

If you have hard-coded the html source into your game code, then changing the display of a single item involves changing game code for that item. Changing an entire screen might require major modifications to your VB code. If you have seperated it, the game code remains static, and you just have to change the display code or display scripting.

Prosper/LOADED mentioned java applets, I would add that for dynamic pages you could also use Java servlets or JSP (Java Server Pages). It all depends on your vision as a whole though...
All the game logic can be worked out on the server, it works as follows...

Player/s tag the game they want to play,
Player/s enter E-merical (waiting for game to be built on server.
Player/s enter game world (looks like the display properties box for win95 etc)
Player/s spend "X" amount of time selecting/moving/building troops
Player/s time runs out, round "X" is over.
Player/s enter e-mercial whilst game logic is solved
Server sends data to browser
Next round begins

I can''t program this but i''m constantly cluing together what can and can''t be done. If you would like to work on this with me please email me at paulwc@cherry.com.au or develop this game for your own web site.

This game design is finished, it''s called Element 247. I''m currently working on the next game which will be an economic strategy game kind of like M.U.L.E. (C64 game).

I''d prefer not to put my game designs on this site yet.

Paul C

Ok I''m interested in... But I won''t work very much for now (I can promise a mere 10 hours a week)... But as soon as I get more free time, I can be more involved.

Here is my email: h_larsen@hotmail.com

More, if you want a real time feeling, you could be interested in Utopia. It IS an online game with real time mechanics... If you need help on it and it working, just e-mail me. I''ve been playing this game for more than 2 years.

Programming is:A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
Utopia rules and Avians are the best!

But to do an online game like yours Paul, wouldn''t you have to make it more of a CGI based game than html?
D~R~A~C~U~L~A

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement