Is C# worth learning?

Started by
15 comments, last by Maega 20 years, 9 months ago
I am wondering because Im thinking about it but I don''t want to spend the time if it''s really not worth it. Maybe some pros and cons from those who have used it would help me. It doesn''t matter what you used it for, just what you liked about it/disliked about it. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
You know you''re asking for a flamming, right? :-p.

Since flamers will probably be in here anyways, I might as well post some questions that are less flamable in the context

I''ll tack on a couple questions I''d like to know myself...

1) Are there free compilers for C# that I could download?
2) Are there free linux compilers for C# that I could download?

If "no" is the answer to either of the above questions, ignore the rest of my post :-p. (I''m broke and run linux)

I''ve noted/read that they (the implementors of the C# language) try and shy away from pointers, so that you can ''verify the safety of'' downloaded code (which pointers inheritly ''desafeify'', and require an explicit ''unsafe'' decleration to work) among other things.

3) How else does C# differ from C++ in it''s language?
4) I am not interested in the fact that you get to use different libraries. I am talking about basic syntax and use.
5) Garbage collection?!?
People who flame over a simple question like this need help. Im personally going to disregard any flames that may arise
Short version: C# is a souped up Java. Lots of (extremely useful) syntactical sugar. Not as fast as C++, so don''t use it in uber-speed critical stuff. Portability stinks right now. (it''s there, but mono doesn''t do everything MS''s implementation does)

Worth learning, says me.
"There is only one everything"
Learning new languages can never hurt (unless you learn BASIC). I want to learn it, but I can''t afford it yet.
http://edropple.com
quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
1) Are there free compilers for C# that I could download?

Yes.
quote:
2) Are there free linux compilers for C# that I could download?

Yes.
quote:
3) How else does C# differ from C++ in it''s language?

(Almost) everything is allocated on the heap - stack allocation is possible(with the struct keyword), but useful mostly in specialized scenarios. Heap allocation is orders of magnitude faster than in C/C++ though, due to the garbage collector.
quote:
5) Garbage collection?!?

Yup, like any other civilized language.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Maega
People who flame over a simple question like this need help. Im personally going to disregard any flames that may arise

They won''t be directed at you, but at some of the replies.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
No.

EDIT - that's just my opinion, but if you want to learn there are these C# course thingies at www.programmersheaven.com

[edited by - jmg5 on July 19, 2003 5:42:27 PM]
I thought C# was strictly a microsoft language. Sort of like Microsoft''s version of java vs the standard Sun''s java.

The nightmare travels across the cosmos with his burning mane. The trail of ash that is produced.

?Have a nice day!?

I don''t think even Microsoft could win a case ''they stole our language!''

Or could they?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement