OpenGL Super Bible

Started by
9 comments, last by pr0teus 23 years, 10 months ago
Has anybody read the book "The OpenGL Super Bible" that would mind telling me if it is a good source to teach myself OpenGL? I have seen some docs online, but I would rather buy a book so I can achieve a better knowledge of the topic. I have heard some good things about this title, but I would rather learn more before I buy it. Thanks, Ben
Advertisement
it''s not bad of a book, it assumes you know knows win32 programming though. You don''t need to buy it, you can read the book online. I don''t have the link with me right now, tho.
I have the book and it does not assume you know win32 programming at all. It covers GLUT. It goes into windows later at the end. Its a very good book for OpenGL. I use it all the time. And in GLUT all the win32 stuff is hidden from the user so its like making a dos program in a way.

-Snyper
=============================Where's the 'any' key?=============================
And it also has a nice section at the end that covers setting up for OpenGL in Win32.
Thanks everyone.

That sounds like a good math since I know some Win32 programming already and GLUT is decently easy to use also.

Does it work well as a reference book also? After I read it, will it be easy for me to go look up a topic and learn more about while I''m programming?

Now all I have to do is find the book somewhere. None of the stores in town have a copy of it so I can''t to easily see if it is a good book for myself.

Does anybody know if Amazon has a large shipping fee?

Thanks again,

Ben
Make sure you get the 2nd edition. Also, try Amazon or BarnesandNoble.com

---
www.crazycrackerz.org
personally, it has turned out to be the sole source for my open gl programming. (actually, i have the redbook too, but all my major learning was from the superbible, 2nd edition) also, at the end of the book, it covers multithreading, real time apps, and other things that may be of some interest for game programmers (without explicitly saying they''re for game programming) pretty cool, i think.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Pr0teus,

Before you buy this book, go to http://www.itknowledge.com. I am nearly positive that they have it there online, so you can read it for free. Of course, if you want the CD and all that, then buy it, but if you just want the text, then...

Scott
I don''t know how to make a link active, but here is the link to the OpenGL Super Bible online. It may be 1st edition, but I don''t know for sure. The foreword is dated June, 1996. It seemed a bit out of date, but most of it still applies. Unlike, say, a book on D3D 5.0. Hee, hee, couldn''t resist.

http://www.itknowledge.com/reference/archive/1571690735/ewtoc.html

Mike Roberts
aka milo
mlbobs@telocity.com
If you''re going to buy a book, buy the red book not the SuperBible. Of course, I have the first edition of the superbible, and it looks like the author improved it in the second. In response to a post above: if you''re going to do anything in windows you need some idea of how to program windows BEFORE you do anything else. I hate when books go over the Win32 api, it''s a waste of space. I have about 5 books where the first couple of chapters are identical.

-BacksideSnap-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement