Need people for a new (MMORPG) project.

Started by
102 comments, last by LeprechauN 20 years, 7 months ago
**quote**
Ever wonder how many projects fail due to negative feedback? I say, let each learn on their own, but at least try to give positive support. Learning from one''s mistakes can be a valuable lesson. Sure, your advice might be sound, but quashing someone''s designs because your advice is ''superior'' does nothing for his motives.
**quote**

To miscellaneous boneheads: Damn right! Yes, it''s big. Yes, it''s hard. Yes, he doesn''t really know how to do it. So freaking what? Let him try. If he''s motivated and interested enough, and gets a few people who know what they''re doing on his side, it IS possible, so stop discouraging him! It''s a tough project, and he needs help and support, not "this won''t work because you are a clueless n00b".

To Leprechaun: Go for it! Ignore the bullshit about it being impossible, plan it out to the very last detail, and get others to help. I beilieve that you said you are in this for fun - so have fun. Learn, try things, and do your very best to succeed - what''s the worst that han happen?
Advertisement
Since the boneheads of the community wont let this frigging thread die let''s get some facts about this little project.

How are you doing Lep?

You managing to use your QBasic skills effectively to write any of the game code yet?

I mean it''s been several weeks, you guys have a design stuff done yet? Any docs? A website? Anything at all?

How is "Trailer in the Ass Productions" coming along? Got a lot of backing from the investment community? That is the name you decided on right?

Seriously guys. If people spent as much time working on their projects as they do trolling this idiotic thread do you know how much work you''d get done?

In the 2 weeks this thread has been around I''ve rewritten my inventory system, rolled out a new zone for my project and written the new NPC interface. Some people strive to succeed while others strive for attention.

Mark

Mark MacPherson
Flybynight Studios: Owner
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration

Wow, that was a really productive post there Mark. Definitely showed off your understanding and intellectual side. That would definitely not be listed in the "stupid posts that kept this thread alive for no good reason" grouping, along with this one, then again I''m not complaining about the fact that it''s still not dead, you are.

I do agree that the admins should just close the thread, as it has went far astray from it''s purpose, but your post had no purpose other than to show off how immature some people can be. "Trailer in the ass productions"? Yeah, that was right up there with fart and penis jokes, wasn''t it? Actually it had to look up to find the gutter where fart and penis jokes reside.
Since this is a MMORPG, have you thought about hosting (for your servers)? Hosting it on your connection (even if it''s DSL) is just silly.
A couple of years ago I created a simple MUD, it worked fine and had active users, however I just couldn''t find a place to host it indefinitely.

Have you thought about the way the server and client will interact (packets / datagrams)? How state for entities will be managed and kept in sync with all active connections? How you''ll store player information (database)? DirectX? Winsock? The Win32 User API? printf()?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement