Skipping Class == Bad

Started by
19 comments, last by Rob Loach 20 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by Senses777
I skipped untill I dropped a bunch of classes last year in college. Don''t get into the habbit of it because its very hard to break.

Think it through and don''t let your emotions be the motivation for you skipping classes. Its OK to skip some classes usually, just think straight, not like me, I diddn''t feel like going so I diddn''t . What a waste of time that was.

Heh, yeah. No matter what I''ll never drop a course though. Not sure why but I''ve just never been one to drop. (Of course my lowest so far has been a B so we''ll see if I really manage to screw up in the future )

[paralogist]
Advertisement
Schools been in session for less than a month now and I''ve already skipped about 2 weeks. Damn shame. I only go to my math class. My other 3 classes feel like I''m at my job, and I hate my job.
I find that studying autonomously is much more efficient than going to my classes. So much that I miss classes where presence = additional marks.

It''s an opportunity cost. There''s nothing fundamentally wrong about skipping a class, or not handing in an assignment.

Cédric
quote:Original post by Cedric
I find that studying autonomously is much more efficient than going to my classes. So much that I miss classes where presence = additional marks.

It''s an opportunity cost. There''s nothing fundamentally wrong about skipping a class, or not handing in an assignment.

Cédric

I think everyone is missing the point of going to class. Yes, you can read a book. Class is about hearing one or more sides, oppinions, etc. of the material. This is also why it is important to read the subject matter before class. Sometimes books are wrong, you understood it wrong, or the teacher is wrong. Either way, listening, note taking and conversation is the three key ways of memorization, which is what class is about.

Every time you don''t go to class, it is like putting a $20 bill in the trash, because that is what you paid for. The ONLY worthwhile reason to miss a class is because you are on a date.

Now, with all of that being said, I think I skipped Sociology the most.

Yeah... college is a lot more kick back than high school was.

edit: hey rob, we're both freshmen again

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

[edited by - neurokaotix on September 26, 2003 5:31:39 PM]
I''m technically a freshman too, even though I have more than a year of college schooling. Damn Purdue for not transferring the great majority of my credits...

I stopped going to my Econ lectures. I already took the damn class and it didn''t transfer for a really stupid reason, so I''m supposed to sit in a lecture hall with like 500 other people. Not even... I just show up for the Friday recitation and quiz. I think I''ll probably wind up with a B in the class.

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | FreeBSD | gamedev.net | google
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
quote:Original post by Taulin

Every time you don''t go to class, it is like putting a $20 bill in the trash, because that is what you paid for. The ONLY worthwhile reason to miss a class is because you are on a date.

This is why I always go to my classes, even if the class is boring as hell and I sit there the whole time looking at my watch. My reasoning is if I am going to pay $1900 a quarter I might as well go to the classes.

Now discussions are another topic. If I understand the material I usually dont bother with going to discussions, that and they are usually taught by foreign TA''s with heavy accents and I cant understand what they say.

Clippy:"OMG, A NUMBAR! Let me format it for you"
Unsuspecting Student: "Ahhhhh! Damn you paperclip you ruined my paper. A thousand deaths upon you!"

"Game Programming: Without programming you''ve just got game"
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
quote:Original post by Taulin
I think everyone is missing the point of going to class. Yes, you can read a book. Class is about hearing one or more sides, oppinions, etc. of the material.
If I were studying litterature, yes. But for science classes, most of the time (except in particular subjects that aren''t entirely understood yet), the teacher ends up reformulating what is written in the book.
quote:This is also why it is important to read the subject matter before class. Sometimes books are wrong, you understood it wrong, or the teacher is wrong. Either way, listening, note taking and conversation is the three key ways of memorization, which is what class is about.
Maybe for you. But not for everyone. I find that whenever my teachers start doing math in my physics classes, I completely lose my focus, and I am wasting my time.

I have experimented with going to class vs not going, and I have chosen to stop attending most of them. I understand that this is not for everyone. However, most students don''t even try to do this seriously.

Most students are way too concerned about their marks, IMO. That''s why they force themselves to attend their classes: to make sure that they don''t miss anything that might be in the exam. They copy literally everything that the teacher writes on the board, with very little attempts to reformulate it.
quote:Every time you don''t go to class, it is like putting a $20 bill in the trash, because that is what you paid for.
No. I go to school to meet people, to be in a stimulating environment, to have something that pushes me to learn (if there weren''t exams, I''m not sure that I would have the motivation to study as much), and to get a diploma (in my case, I don''t really value that one, but a lot of people do).

But I guess that in Canada, we don''t pay as much as you do in the states.

Cédric
I don''t pay for my college and some of the classes I''m in are far to aggravating in their remedial nature to be of much use to me so some of these arguments are moot. I''ll attend when it sounds interesting but I''m not going to go to every class. People will explain to me how I don''t value education etc but thats BS. I value it far more highly than just about anyone I know, it''s just that there are times when I can spend my time better than listening to a person try and sound smart. It''s not like I''m skipping to sleep or watch movies, I''m skipping because I''m reading AND I am very comfortable with the material.
on wednesdays I always skip the first four hours or so, because it the only day I have to be at school on 8:15. for the rest of the week I don''t have to be at school befoew noon, so my day/night rhythm makes it totally impossible for my to stand up before 9/10 o clock or so. besides that I skip quite some hours, but I only skip hours I know I can skip, like math. I always skip math. It''s not that I don''t like it, but since it''s sooo stupid, like: What''s this? A point? no it''s not a point, it''s a dot. and this? a line? no it''s a stripe bleh...
At my school you are allowed to skip 15%, but I think I skip much more. what the fuck, my marks are good, so who cares

My Site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement