J2ME Scaling

Started by
4 comments, last by DefCom 20 years, 6 months ago
Just a quicky, Is there a method of scaling an image in a midp? Or should i just use multiple images. I can''t decide which is better, the memory of storing enough images to create smooth looking scaling or the proccessor power involved in scaling. Any feedback or advise would be appriciated. I am trying to create a skateboard game with an ''Outrun'' style graphics.
Advertisement
As far as i know scaling is not supported by MIDP 1 but may be implemented by the phone vendors specific API''s.

Would be very difficult to scale a graphic that would only be 10 pixels by 10 pixels so i would think using a few images may be a better option.

quote:Original post by DefCom
Just a quicky,
Is there a method of scaling an image in a midp?
Or should i just use multiple images. I can't decide which is better, the memory of storing enough images to create smooth looking scaling or the proccessor power involved in scaling.
Any feedback or advise would be appriciated.

I am trying to create a skateboard game with an 'Outrun' style graphics.

Well, using the NokiaUI you can read and draw pixels, so it is possible(I've made this).

Otherwice you'll have to prerender a few different sizes.

/MindWipe

[edited by - MindWipe on October 1, 2003 8:17:17 AM]
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Hi, Thanks for both responces. Amaze looks, well amazing.
I hope to do something similar soon. When i have finished my outrun style skating demo. I''ll post it soon.
Scaling is possible using MIDP 1.0 only. Cant remember where the link is but so I will just copy and paste it here.

/* Copyright (c) 2002,2003, Stefan Haustein, Oberhausen, Rhld., Germany * * Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy * of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal * in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights * to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or * sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is * furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: * * The  above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in * all copies or substantial portions of the Software. * * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR * IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE * AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER * LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING * FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS * IN THE SOFTWARE. */ import javax.microedition.lcdui.*;/** This class provides a single static method that allows to scale an image */public class ScaleImage {/** * Creates a new, scaled version of the given image. *  * @param src: The source image * @param dstW: The destination (scaled) image width * @param dstH: The destination (scaled) image height * @return Image: A new Image object with the given width and height. */public static Image scaleImage (Image src, int dstW, int dstH) {    int srcW = src.getWidth();    int srcH = src.getHeight();		    Image tmp = Image.createImage(dstW, srcH);    Graphics g = tmp.getGraphics();		    int delta = (srcW << 16) / dstW;    int pos = delta/2;		    for (int x = 0; x < dstW; x++)     {	g.setClip(x, 0, 1, srcH);	g.drawImage(src, x - (pos >> 16), 0, Graphics.LEFT | Graphics.TOP);	pos += delta;    }		    Image dst = Image.createImage(dstW, dstH);    g = dst.getGraphics();		    delta = (srcH << 16) / dstH;    pos = delta/2;		    for (int y = 0; y < dstH; y++)     {        g.setClip(0, y, dstW, 1);	g.drawImage(tmp, 0, y - (pos >> 16), Graphics.LEFT | Graphics.TOP);	pos += delta;	    }		    return dst;		}}

But don''t use that in realtime, it looks horribly slow

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement