OpenGL Question

Started by
9 comments, last by SlimShady38 23 years, 10 months ago
I am new to OpenGL. I am using the windows platform. I would like information about displaying models(.3ds,.obj,.dfx....etc) in OpenGL, without using GLUT. help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Eminem, er SlimShady, sorry to say but your gonna have to write your own loading functions. Im not aware of any 3D Object Loading functions Built into OpenGL. Sorry, though I just wrote a great .ASE loader, for OGL, if your interested, just post.
.ASE? If you mean .ASC i''m very interested. if not explain .ASE i''ve never heard of it.

thanks.
so....you wan to tell me or not......
Its ASE. Its the Ansi Model Format exported by 3D Studio Max.
ok. do you know of a converter. or do you have any source for any other formats?

I''m really having problems with this.

Hey Esap1
I''m interested!

-----------------------------Reporter: Are they slow-moving, chief?Sheriff: Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up.-Night of the living dead
You are better off writing your own 3ds loader. I converted a complex scene to test a engine and the file went from a 5 meg file to 93 meg ase. Alot of wasted space. I don''t remember the url but search for 3d file format page. I think that is the name.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
Uh yeah cose ASE is text based, not binary.
YOU WOULDNT USE THE FILE FORMAT IN YOUR GAME.
You would load your objects with it then Export your own type of file to save space. And Im making a zip of the loader K
Let us know when you have it posted.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement