Anyone remember Starglider 2?

Started by
1 comment, last by miolner 23 years, 9 months ago
Just been thinking about some of my old games and remembered the superb game of Starglider 2. Anyone else remember it? I think it is good because of the fact that you have an entire solar system to play with, 15+ active worlds loads of NPC''s to interact with/kill/kidnap and a nice plot - and all on one 720k floppy! I just think that it is a shame there are no games with this kind of freedom around these days as it would be really cool! Any thoughts people? In fact I might think about having a go at writing a modern version - gimme a chance to flex my newly acquired OpenGL muscles Whaddya reckon, I need advice!
"..Cry Havoc! And let slip the dogs of War...."
Advertisement
Well, if you feel that you would like to do it, well why not? I remember lots of older games that had lots of freedom, well just look at Elite and wasn''t that done in sometime silly like 4k or something?

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)

Neuro.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
I would really like to do something like this, but with up to date graphics and a better feeling of realism, however I am still starting out on this whole 3D thing, I have only written a very simple 3D Asteroids style thing so far and it is as buggy as hell.

Okay, how about this for some specifics - probably a bit far I
know but you have to be optimistic

1. Seamless transition from space to planet etc.
2. Realistic terrain (how about based on real geographic data?) visible from anywhere i.e. you nuke a city on the ground and you can see the effect from orbit in real-time
3. Weather simulation
4. Decent AI with a populated world with stuff like transports and other living animals all doing there own thing and sensible responses

Way over my head at the moment but if I can get my ROAM terrain to work it could be very tasty

So come on and give me some advice, you guys must have more experience than me in this area!

"..Patriotism is a virtue of the Vicious...."
"..Cry Havoc! And let slip the dogs of War...."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement