Unreal\UT-engine vs. Q3´s

Started by
22 comments, last by XBTC 23 years, 10 months ago
Hi! This is a new thread continuing the discussion which started in the "I hate Germany" thread.I decided to put it here into "Grahics+Programming and Theory" ´cause it´s about the gfx-part of both engines....If you want to join this discussion read all the posts at the end of the "I hate germany thread".... The discussion started with tcs telling the Unreal\UT-engine is crap and me telling it is as good as Q3.(Some not so nice posts by me followed,again I apologize for that). P.s.:Sorry for the facing-world thing I looked into the editor and MK42 is right about the size of the texture,anyway it looks pretty cool....And I´ll look into the dynamic texture thing....
Advertisement
I''m somehwhat exprienced in fractal/procedural image generation. No Idea how you could accomplish those images in realtime..

Tim

--------------------------
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.glvelocity.com
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
I think the Quake 3 engine is more advanced (someone correct me), but Unreal and UT are better games because of good gameplay. I love the original Unreal.

JoeMont001@aol.com | www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Unreal engine vs. Q3 engine....
Well, I think I gotta give props to Unreal. If my understanding is correct, Unreal and UT use the same engine, and UT is just tweaked for multiplayer (feel free to correct me on this). This means that it took id two years to catch up to Epic. And UT still looks better (in my opinion) than Q3.

Martee
Magnum Games
http://MagnumGames.8m.com
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
For me the difference between UT and Quake 3 is quite simple. My system CAN run UT at 640*480, it CAN NOT RUN Quake 3 at all!

Here is my system outline: (Please, don't laugh)
AMD K6 233
64 MB RAM
5 GB hard drive
SB Live
Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI

So, if compatibility and speed matter then I think UT is the better engine.

#define MY_LIFE BUSY

Edited by - The_C_Guy on July 9, 2000 7:19:21 AM
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/resist.jpg
UT is ''better'' than the Q3 engine
UT is fully modular, and uses a script for game logics
Procedural textures (for tcs):

The procedural textures are 8-bit (even, if they are downloaded to the card in a 32-bit texture format for cards which don''t support palettized textures). This also ensures that the amount of data (which has to be procedurally generated) is kept as small as possible. UT distinguishes between dynamic textures and texture animation (look at the UTX packfiles). Explosions are done with animated textures and water/fire is done with dynamic textures. I think UT has two main effects classes, distortion (water) effects and fire effects (fire, steam,...). The distortion effects work on a base texture. Here you add ''particles'' which will in essence seed the pertubation. You can choose a huge number of modifiers for the particles (circular, oscilating, etc...). This will be used to generate a ''water effect''-like displacement map which is used on the base texture. The fire-effect class uses regular particle fire techniques (with blurring). These effects can probably be optimized like hell with MMX-instructions, allowing you to work on several pixels at once. I think it''s possible. Play a bit with the texture editor and you will see, that they can''t just generate a texture animation out of the dynamic textures.

MK42
I like UT better than Q3. BTW The unreal engine is object oriented.

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
MK42:Nice that my speculation is proved now...Nope serious:I looked into UnrealEd too and can just agree with you....

P.s.:I think tcs will stay away from this thread,the newest opinions here just would hurt him too much

Greets,XBTC!

Edited by - XBTC on July 10, 2000 7:52:47 AM
Hey Martee! I''ll side with everyone else here in heralding UT as the champion... I expect it was a bad 3dfx DLL file (or something similar), but Q3 ran slower than UT, even at a higher resolution. I''m using a Voodoo2 8mb (yeah I know it''s old).

"The colours, children, hmm-hay"; You just cannot go past the brilliant outdoor textures and environments in the original Unreal! That game had the best atmosphere of any 3D shooter I''ve played, second only to Aliens vs Predator, in the shoes of a Marine And I know somebody else''s already mentioned it, but the Mutator / Game Mode / Game Type setup of UT blows Q3 away. I''m not sure if ID''s still using one DLL per game type now...

-----------

C++ is the language of the not-so-ancients.
Learn to speak it well.

BeamMeUp
-----------C++ is the language of the not-so-ancients.Learn to speak it well.BeamMeUp

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement