Singing in Games

Started by
16 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 9 months ago
What do you think about singing in games? Would it make the game cooler? Or does it work only for movies? - DarkMage139 "Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!" "Originality (in games) is the spice of life!" Edited by - DarkMage139 on 7/8/00 5:48:15 PM
- DarkMage139
Advertisement
that is a pretty ambiguous question with an equally ambiguous answer...what kind of game are you talking about? what kind of singing are you talking about? more info is needed. personally i think that in general background music (especially w/ singing) is both distracting and it detaches the player from the game world a bit. subtle "interactive" music would probably give you the best results, but it really depends on the type of game you are making.

<(o)>
<(o)>
It''s an adventure game. Whether it''s a plain adventure game (like Dave Dude) or "RPG" (FF7ish), I''m not sure, but it''s gonna be one those (note that the game is still in design phase).

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
I agree that it would probably be distracting during gameplay. However, during the title screen or cinematics would be fine.

Or, you could have your characters singing... ''a musical''

- n8

nathany.com
Singing by and large seems like it would be a distraction for the gamer. It gives the background music too much of a presence, bringing it closer to the forefront of the game as apposed to thebackground .
I think that singing in games can be done well, but it would be hard to do it correctly. In FF7, when you fight Sephiroth at the end, there is a song being sung. It is in latin and it fits perfectlly with the battle. It is done well and it blends into the game and creates a great atmoshpere.

There is also a new game for PS out called Rhapsody. It is being called a ''musical RPG''. I haven''t tried it yet, but will give it a chance. It might be what you are looking for. But I do agree that in general, songs should be kept to the opening/ending and cinematics.
And to counterpoint the FF7''s final battle music:

There''s a scene in FF8 where the main character save''s his love. As they return home, some music begins playing off the CD. I found it completely screwed up the moment since there was so much character dialog to read while the songs lyrics were in english and quite distracting. On top of that, it was based on the main theme, but was the worst rendition of it, IMO, in the game.

But, there was also this ''chanting'' that would be played when the big-baddie showed up. Definately helped the mood. Oh, and it was in latin.
I remember when I first played Virtual Pool. The game started up and a somewhat interesting rock tune started playing. But then a guy started singing this really lame melody. That was it... off went the mouse looking for a way to disable music. Background music I generally don't mind; in fact I often like it.

Edited by - chronos on July 9, 2000 4:40:50 AM
singing in english would probably be really bad. If you do go with it make it an option, perhaps you could turn off the voice or even turn it into a hum so you get the sound but without the words.
I''ll make this short and sweet...

Contemporary music with english lyrics that would actually catch the attention of the player should not show up in back ground music.

However... Check out the CD entitled "Libera", copyrighted in Paris, France. It was produced by Erato. It is a choir, mixxed with a kind of slowed down techno with a good bass line. Some of the music is kinda mystical, yet up paced, to keep the player deep into the action. Drums even come in on some of the songs. Its good stuff and I also find it inspirational. It has been my inspiration for the type of music the team that I am with will be shooting for on our current RPG.

Due note the fact that, for Demo cinematics, we will probably be fitting in contemporary music, stuff similair to songs like Last Resort, by Papa Roach, All I want, by OffSpring, etc. Just try to picture the cinematic or scene that you are trying to portray while listening to the type of music you are thinking of implementing. You will find that you can tell right off the bat whether it will fit, or not.

Raz

"Imagination is the key to Creation"
"Imagination is the key to Creation"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement