Newbie Q: Debugging DirectX.

Started by
2 comments, last by MantisKid 23 years, 9 months ago
I have two questions which may seem trivial but would appreciate any advice. 1. If I install the debugging libraries will they affect the performance of commercial software on my PC? 2. How can I get output messages to be displayed in a window with Visual C(6)? (I am using D3DFrame to cut my teeth). Many thanks in advance. MantisKid
Advertisement
1. Yes, if you install the debug runtimes every app and game using DX will be slower.

2. Are you talking about single messages once in a while? Use MessageBox(). If you meant outputting a continous log then you probably need to create a separate window and write the output to that one with GDI.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

The DirectX documentation says that it is possible to set up Visual Studio so that debugging output can be channelled to an output window. I could not find anything to help me do this. Any ideas? Otherwise I''ll just do as you suggested.

Many thanks.

MantisKid

Try using

OutputDebugString()
this will output a string to the debugging window of MSVC

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement