Does MIDP1 apps work in MIDP2 phones?

Started by
1 comment, last by Trond A 20 years, 5 months ago
I was just wondering; does MIDP1 applications work on MIDP2 phones? I would assume so, but you know what they say about assumptions... And, since I'm already here, does anyone know the refresh rate on the fastest/faster phone lcd screens at this point? Thanks, -Trond [edited by - Trond A on November 21, 2003 9:56:02 AM]
-Trond
Advertisement
Java is designed to be backward compatible, and if there are features that they think are better off without in a later version, they still ship it with them, but marked them as depreciated in favour of newer syntax and stuff. So, yes, an MIDP1 application would work in an MIDP2 phone...
In theory. Again. Why? They would actually depend on how consistent and standard the implementation of the KVM(the jvm for the cell phone) is. For example, Nokia''s series 60 KVM has a serious bug in that there is memory leak whenever you load an image and release it. Even if your game works perfectly fine in series 40, it might even run out of memory in a series 60 phone. If you do decide to cache all images at the start of the game and reuse them, bare in mind the heap limitations of a series 40 phone (typically 256kb), where as for a series 60 phone, it is much larger(up to 4mb). And for this I am talking about Nokia series 40 and 60. I have yet to play with the other mobile phone maker''s implementations. And we are talking about j2me cldc 1 and midp 1 only. Not to mention the inconsistency of transparency in nokia''s additional java api of series 40 and 60.
Basically, you wouldn''t know till you try the things out.
quote:Original post by dot
Java is designed to be backward compatible, and if there are features that they think are better off without in a later version, they still ship it with them, but marked them as depreciated in favour of newer syntax and stuff. So, yes, an MIDP1 application would work in an MIDP2 phone...
In theory. Again. Why? They would actually depend on how consistent and standard the implementation of the KVM(the jvm for the cell phone) is. For example, Nokia''s series 60 KVM has a serious bug in that there is memory leak whenever you load an image and release it. Even if your game works perfectly fine in series 40, it might even run out of memory in a series 60 phone. If you do decide to cache all images at the start of the game and reuse them, bare in mind the heap limitations of a series 40 phone (typically 256kb), where as for a series 60 phone, it is much larger(up to 4mb). And for this I am talking about Nokia series 40 and 60. I have yet to play with the other mobile phone maker''s implementations. And we are talking about j2me cldc 1 and midp 1 only. Not to mention the inconsistency of transparency in nokia''s additional java api of series 40 and 60.
Basically, you wouldn''t know till you try the things out.

Just to correct one thing. The 40 series has about 210kb of heap memeory.

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement