Hasbro, Donkey Kong, PacMan and Frogger...

Started by
7 comments, last by Coleco 23 years, 10 months ago
Hey people, Not sure if this is the right group and this has probably been asked a million times. What do you think are the legalities (spelling?) of someone making a clone of a game like DonkeyKong and NOT selling it? What if I simply MADE Donkey Kong (using ripped graphics and sound) and simply gave it away.. What if I said I programmed it for learning only? Thanks -Coleco Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
Advertisement
I think you may get sued. The way i see it is that if your game is a better version of their game and it''s free, they will lose $$$ b/c people will play your game. This type of competition is currently legal (unless Hasbro has their way) but the illegal part is that you don''t have the rights to the gfx and sfx.

+AA_970+
What if I made a Frogger clone and replaced the frog with a game developer and the cars with Hasbro lawyers? Would I get sued?
So then, Instead of using the original graphics and sound fx put some (other) funky sound to it and instead of using a monkey, try a (werewolf) or something else.

skew HASBRO!

I'd sell my soul my self esteem one dollar at a time for just one taste of you my Magdalena.
Empty Your Cup!Wolfmaster
quote:Original post by jonnyfish

What if I made a Frogger clone and replaced the frog with a game developer and the cars with Hasbro lawyers? Would I get sued?

probably unless you distributed it freeware and did not show HASBRO, but changed it instead with something like ANTI-GAME DEVELOPMENT AGENCY and everyone would know what you were talking about!
heheheh (I kill myself sometimes!)

I'd sell my soul my self esteem one dollar at a time for just one taste of you my Magdalena.
Empty Your Cup!Wolfmaster
Well, I know someone made a Sonic-clone for the MSX2+ (an old 8bit home-computer). Sega knows about it and doesn''t care about it either, because it''s a small project (about 100 units sold or so). As a matter of fact, one of their employees even bought the game! But Sega isn''t Hasbro off course, and I don''t think would like something like that!

-------------------------
-Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit.
Unknown Person
-------------------------
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
I wouldn''t recommend distributing clones of any games Hasbro has the rights to, right now. Whether or not you sell it for money makes no difference. Other companies may be more lenient, but they obviously are not.
quote:Original post by jonnyfish

Actually, you would be protected, as it falls under allowable satire or parody. How do you think the writer of Gangsta''s Paradise couldn''t sue Weird Al Yankovik for Ahmish Paradise?

B e S
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
I've been thinking about the Hasbro lawsuit and wondered, why doesn't anyone get sued for making Tetris clones? Or do they, I dunno.

Edited by - TMOLI 42 on July 18, 2000 5:11:07 PM
- TMOLI 42 Powered by hypocrisy!"Go crazy? Don't mind if I do!" - Homer Simpson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement