MUDs...

Started by
19 comments, last by McChuie 23 years, 9 months ago
i think we''d have to check out the code to see what is going wrong...can you post some of the code?

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
quote:
McChuie
Oh, I''m sorry, I did''t know blue-lightning''s little club was exclusive. I guess I should try and lern how to do this stuff else were, a place were people are allowed to be a NewB. I guess blue-lightning knew everything from the beginning.

My club? What club? You can join my RPG team if that''s what you mean.

I''m not saying that you should learn elsewhere. But for the record, I learned programming before the internet was big. So I was never much of a newbie online. When I joined gamedev I had already made a basic game. I still don''t know everything though. For example I only know a little 3d stuff.
For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
quote:Original post by blue-lighting

But for the record, I learned programming before the internet was big. So I was never much of a newbie online. When I joined gamedev I had already made a basic game.
Same here... thank god I didn''t know about this forum when I was learning DX, I would''ve annoyed the heck out of some people

lntakitopi@aol.com - http://www.geocities.com/guanajam
Oh, sorry blue-lightning, I missunderstood what you said, I thought you were being mean instead of helpfull, sorry again, sorry sorry. It's hard to understand people when your not hearing there voice. Sorry.

Here's part of the code, hope it helps:

do
{
PCdammage = rand() % 10;
beastdammage = rand() % 10;
cout << name << ", you slash the beast, cousing "
<< PCdammage << " pionts dammage" << endl
<< "The beast hp is now: " << beasthp - PCdammage <<
endl;

cout << "The beast clubs you, cousing "
<< beastdammage << " points dammage" <<
endl << "Your hp is now: " <<
PChp - beastdammage << endl;

getche();
}while(PChp != 0);

Edited by - McChuie on July 20, 2000 12:09:28 PM
Try to fix your spelling errors. It looks bad in a mud if you don''t.
For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
I know, I''m so bad at spelling : P
Okay, McChui keep in mind when I''m posting that I AM NOT trying to tell you not to make a MUD. However, if I were you I would not make a MUD just because you can''t do graphics. These can get as much if not MORE complicated than a graphical game. For instance, have you ever thought about making the vocabulary and combining words together? I am only telling you this because I thought like you did once also, why not make a mud since I couldn''t do graphics? I thought (being a newbie) that I would make one large case switch statement for everything the player might input. It worked when I made the basics of the game, but it was impossible to do all the combinations for everything. If you want to make a MUD, by all means do it, but you really have to have your heart into it and take the time to make the computer "think". In Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 days by Andre Lamoth (an old DOS book), I think the last chapter is dedicated to making a text adventure. His code is extremely long and complicated (from a newbie''s perspective) and the world is still very limited. Well, happy coding!

Masters Software
Hey, I got it to work, yesss!
here's what i did, I entered these points in:

a = beasthp - PCdammage;
b = PChp - beastdammage;
beasthp = a;
PChp = b;

and instead of telling it to PChp - beastdammage, i put 'a', and same with b.

But now I have another problem. When I loop it I do this:

while(PChp > 0)

So it wont stop if the beast's hp drops below 0, i tryed to put a second loop with:

while(beasthp > 0)

but the program freezes. Is there a way to say that if 2 statements arn't true stop?

Thanks jtecin, I thought about what you said for a while and desided to just make this a smal progect, just to build up my programming skills, I have actually learded a lot from just making this small program. Thanks again.

Edited by - McChuie on July 20, 2000 12:15:09 PM
quote:Original post by McChuie

But now I have another problem. When I loop it I do this:

while(PChp >= 0)

So it wont stop if the beast''s hp drops below 0, i tryed to put a second loop with:

while(beasthp >= 0)

but the program freezes. Is there a way to say that if 2 statements arn''t true stop?

Thanks jtecin, I thought about what you said for a while and desided to just make this a smal progect, just to build up my programming skills, I have actually learded a lot from just making this small program. Thanks again.

Sure, just do

while (beasthp >= 0 && PChp>= 0)

Masters Software
McChuie!! i forget to tell but i´m also making a RPG fighting engine like the one from darkmage139(nice job!!) but it will a lot more powerfull( if works... ) and if want i can e-mail it for you soon that i finish it. ( i want put it online so everyone can download it but will take a time until i get a web space...)

============
if god is love...
and the love is blind...
so Ray Charles is god!!!
"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement