Opengl dependent on directdraw?

Started by
3 comments, last by Theses 23 years, 9 months ago
i looked at the dependencies of opengl32.dll and noticed that it is dependent on the following: msvcrt.dll kernel32.dll advapi32.dll gdi.dll glu32.dll user32.dll ddraw.dll and it must import DirectDrawCreate from ddraw.dll what the hell is this? if you don't believe me use the program Depends that comes with Visual Studio Edited by - Theses on 7/18/00 6:04:59 PM
Advertisement
somehow I don''t think OpenGL needs ddraw.lib to compile.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
u could be right IIRC a couple of cards use directdraw for all windows drawing
Dude, first of all, calm down

Basically the card manufacturer releases the drivers for the card for OGL, D3D, and Glide if it''s a 3dfx card. How they implement their drivers, is their decision. On my card, for example, OpenGL is implemented through Glide, it''s not going directly to the card. 3dfx is going to change that (may be they did already, I just have old drivers). In your case, OpenGL might be implemented through D3D. I bet if you look for more recent drivers, it will go directly to the card, because the manufacturers are forced to support OpenGL directly.

Anyway, my point is, it totally depends on the driver, it''s not a universal thing. Don''t worry, M$ didn''t buy the SGI guys. Yet.
OpenGL driver can use DDraw to create and manage rendering surface.
As I remember, Rendition''s Redline (native API for their 3D chips) worked in the same way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement