why is c# better for game development than c++(you can be vague)

Started by
298 comments, last by normalme 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Doesn''t any C# developed program presently require the client (person running the program) to have the .NET Framework installed presently?

that alone is it''s greatest shortcoming imo.

That will change. You only need to download it once, and it will be stuck on cover discs and distributed on CD with commercial apps that need it. And it''s an integral part of Longhorn.

[teamonkey]
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Dobbs
quote:is it optimized for preformance?

That''s a pretty meaningless question since C# is a language. You can''t really say a language is optimized for performance, although you could ask whether a C# compiler produces nicely optimized code.

You can certainly design a language in such a way that it''s compilers have an easier timer generating optimized code. The question is wether C# was designed to be easy compilable (is that a word?).
more of a straight forward approach to OOP
I just tried C# after some years with C++, and there''s one thing that strikes you; productivity. You do things 10 times faster in C# than i C++.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code

It isn''t! its slow

I''ll be sticking with C++
--= * IDle SOFTWARE * =--Developer of the game QUACK 3(a first person Duck shooter)***********************************************************"Coding... like life is a cruel *****...Just when you think you are getting somewhere...it will knock you back down to earth...and prove you know nothing about either of them".(John Carmack 1984,when he was learning to code).
It is much more powerful, it has all features of C++ and then some more.
It is also more efficient for prototyping and quick test apps, all you need is a form that you create and run, only a few lines of code without bothering with a wndproc.

But to be honest, all the forms/event/property stuff of the forms has been available since 1995 as Delphi. This is just Microsoft''s implementation of those great ideas.

Performance wise, it''ll be somewhat slower, but a decent programmer can avoid that.
Why not try Dark Basic or Blitz Basic,or even 3D Game Studio?
I hear that these are also much more easier than c++ too.
and is geared towards making games.

On the Dark Basic website,he boasts he can print 'text' to the screen in under 3 commands -Lol- sorry i couldn't help it.

[edited by - Johnny Carmackle on January 7, 2004 9:04:22 AM]
--= * IDle SOFTWARE * =--Developer of the game QUACK 3(a first person Duck shooter)***********************************************************"Coding... like life is a cruel *****...Just when you think you are getting somewhere...it will knock you back down to earth...and prove you know nothing about either of them".(John Carmack 1984,when he was learning to code).
quote:Original post by johnny carmackle

It isn't! its slow

I'll be sticking with C++

LOL

you call 95-98% of the top performance of C++ slow?

rofl I find it funny when I see people complain about speed/performance with C#. The reason is because if you aren't writing 100% optomized C++ code than yes, C# will be faster in many cases due to the fact that if you follow the guidelines it is fairly optomized on first write. Once the C# 2.0 spec is released with Whidbey the compiler is even more optomized, plus generics/anonymous methods, etc.

The funniest thing is though that I'm guessing most of the people posting about the great speed of C++ haven't been able to use it at maximum performance with optomization (and probably idle around 80-90% of the maximum performance of the language/compiler), which in the end could mean C# programs running faster than their own in C++ =]

Now don't get me wrong. I am not an idiot that goes around wearing a shirt saying C# or C++ being a propaganda wagon for the language like a lot of people. I think the biggest thing people need to realize is that they are all just tools to use, nothing more. It all depends on what you are trying to do, as I will use either C, C++, C#, ASM, or IL ASM depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

[edited by - Imperil on January 7, 2004 9:38:06 AM]
quote:Original post by Imperil
The funniest thing is though that I''m guessing most of the people posting about the great speed of C++ haven''t been able to use it at maximum performance with optomization (and probably idle around 80-90% of the maximum performance of the language/compiler), which in the end could mean C# programs running faster than their own in C++ =]
<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - Imperil on January 7, 2004 9:38:06 AM]</SPAN>

Huh? what the cuckoo is that supposed to mean? Haven''t seen such gibberish in a long time here...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by Imperil
The funniest thing is though that I''m guessing most of the people posting about the great speed of C++ haven''t been able to use it at maximum performance with optomization (and probably idle around 80-90% of the maximum performance of the language/compiler), which in the end could mean C# programs running faster than their own in C++ =]
<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - Imperil on January 7, 2004 9:38:06 AM]</SPAN>

Huh? what the cuckoo is that supposed to mean? Haven''t seen such gibberish in a long time here...

Why are you one of them?

Language is the least of the worries when you''re talking about speed and performance. Half the people posting take it as gospel that you can have a horribly coded C++ application run faster than a perfectly coded C# or java program which is simply not the case at all.

Gibberish? Maybe you have problems with the english language? I clearly stated that most people DO NOT code to maximum optomized performance. There are MANY ways you can solve algorithms or tackle problems, and most people are not able to do it at best possible level.

Now if you have an application that isn''t fully optomized (which is much harder to do in C++, trust me I had to do it professionally for year!), than your optomized version is obviously going to run faster, language is not the issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement