Is c++ gonna die

Started by
134 comments, last by cpp boy 20 years ago
quote:Original post by DevLiquidKnight
im kinda mad i got the new Visual Studio C++ .net 2003 and it didnt come with C#.... kinda really agravates me

You bought C++ and are upset that you didn''t get C# for free? That''s like buying a movie and then complaining that they didn''t give you another movie with it. However, if you had bought Visual Studio, it would be understandable.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
quote:Original post by PlayGGY
quote:Original post by Penguins
what about D? isnt D being developed and highly praised?

No.

*tear* does anyone know anything about d? i came across this http://www.digitalmars.com/d/ where it has a nice chart explaining why d is better than c++ and java
quote:Original post by Namethatnobodyelsetook
If game programming books switched to C#, they''d be tied to Microsoft for no good reason. Hobbyists might not mind, but most professional game developers will want their code to run on many platforms, with no, or slight modifications. Unless MS can convince Sony, and Nintendo to use C# for their consoles, game developers will try to steer clear of C#. I''m not even going to try to figure out if MS''s own console group would try the switch. They''re the new kid on the console block, and pulling a stunt like that for XBox Next could be all that most developers need to know before avoiding it like the plague.

So, no, not any time soon, and probably not ever, though you will find SOME books that cover that niche. I''d avoid such a book though, as it''s declaring clearly that it doesn''t care about your professional future, and just wants a quick buck from the hobby coder.

Some other language may replace C++ eventually, but not something proprietary and controlled like C#.

That''s my view of it.

Actually, those are some of the best points I have seen. Great thinking!
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
im kinda mad i got the new Visual Studio C++ .net 2003 and it didnt come with C#.... kinda really agravates me

You bought C++ and are upset that you didn''t get C# for free? That''s like buying a movie and then complaining that they didn''t give you another movie with it. However, if you had bought Visual Studio , it would be understandable.

Doesn''t the .net framwork come with a compiler built in that has all the components needed for C#? I thought I read that somewhere.
yea.. i read that C# came with the .net framwork but it didn't... thats main reason im mad

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 11, 2004 9:01:43 PM]
quote:Original post by SmugBoy
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil

You bought C++ and are upset that you didn''t get C# for free? That''s like buying a movie and then complaining that they didn''t give you another movie with it. However, if you had bought Visual Studio , it would be understandable.

Doesn''t the .net framwork come with a compiler built in that has all the components needed for C#? I thought I read that somewhere.

But it wouldn''t come with the C# IDE. I am not sure about what you said, but you can get a C# compiler off of MS''s website for free.

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
yea.. i read that C# came with the .net framwork but it didn''t... thats main reason im mad

I''m sure you got a .NET compiler with the .NET framework, but C# is not going to be integreated into the Visual Studio IDE. You''ll need your own IDE.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
yea I have a .net compiler.. for "Managed C++ Extensions" I searched to see if i had the free compiler that came off ms website with it and it didnt so i dont really want ot download the older framrework to get a compiler lol....
C# will likely not be used to create big projects they already have a decompiler for it however they REPLACED THE COLLEGES ADVANCED C++ CLASS I WAS GONNA TAKE WITH C# !@!(&#(^!$ damn them!!

[edited by - DevLiquidKnight on January 11, 2004 8:52:07 PM]

It''s funny that even Microsoft supplies some decompiling eh? .. and it''s also funny that you can use reflection with C# to use methods/code from other DLLs.

BUT the problem with your statement is two-fold.

a) ANY professional developer uses an Obfuscator (free with VSNET 2003, also there are other commercial versions), and with the best obfuscation than no, you are unable to decompile.

b) I have already worked on over 5 BIG projects in C#. Please note that C# is the future of development on Microsoft operating systems.
quote:Original post by abeylin
quote:This is still quite a common misconception. The modern day C++ and C# compilers actually produce a higher performing application:

http://img.osnews.com/img/5602/results.jpg

gcc compiles slower code than VC++, so that''s not a fair comparison between C and C++.
Better would be gcc vs g++.
Are there graphs for that?

C++ doesn''t call "main" directly, it calls "__" before, so it can''t possibly be faster.

As you should note in my post, I didn''t not say language, I said that it is more dependant upon the compiler used.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement