Some questions regarding mmorpg server code architecture

Started by
43 comments, last by roookie 20 years ago
It''s been a while since I brought out the packet sniffer but I''m fairly sure that both Everquest and Asheron''s Call 2 use UDP for the main gameplay data stream. Most other MMP''s probably do as well. Chat may be on a seperate server cluster that uses TCP.

I''m not sure what you mean by packetizing stream with respect to multiple connections. You break TCP streams into messages by either having a size indicator, by having fixed size messages with the size implied by the message id, or some combination of the two. That has nothing to do with managing multiple connections though.
-Mike
Advertisement
Anon Mike, i mean application breaking TCP streams into packets, so that the main server logic could work with user commands, but not raw data streams. Can you describe the code logic which can do this (should be non-blocking)?
I haven''t been able to find any complete step-by-step tutorials for IOCP... maybe if enough people visit the article request forum, somebody will write a decent one up as an example...

*hint*
quote:Original post by roookie
acraig, mmorpgs are not first person shooters, there's no fast action in there... Mmorpgs can afford lag of several hundreds milliseconds.

The lag for TCP can be several SECONDS, as many as 30 or higher in bad cases. A mmorpg can't deal with that sort of lag any better than can an FPS.

quote:All commercial mmorpgs i know use TCP.

What are you basing that on? As far as I know, that is entirely opposite of being correct. All commercial mmorpgs you know use UDP. They MIGHT mix in a bit of TCP for the non-time critical stuff (like patch updates) but their main game protocols are UDP in almost every case. I believe AO was entirely TCP at first (and perhaps they still are, I dunno), but they are the exception, not the rule. And they had horrendous lag issues in the beginning (which is why I have a feeling they switched to UDP as well, though I've no reference for that, just a guess).

Maybe you have some reference that prooves me wrong, heh. But I think you might be kidding yourself. TCP is almost always a bad choice for non-turn based games. There are any number of references on gamesutra (the Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing post mortem on gamesutra being the most famous and probably most quoted) that bear this out.

If you want help with IOCP, I've written an IOCP server. It's exclusively UPD though But I will help where I can with advice and questions if you'd like it.

Ron

[edited by - RonHiler on January 30, 2004 6:16:41 PM]
Creation is an act of sheer will
RonHiler, well i was not speaking of all the commercial mmorpgs, i only mentioned the ones, that i tried... DAoC, AO use TCP (checked that with netstat, no UDP sockets were open)... UO also uses TCP (and its free emulators, like UOX, etc)...
UDP is good for its speed and its packet-oriented nature, but i''ll have to manage online presence of clients manually... Got any ideas on implementing that (logins, logouts, authorization, etc...)?
I know UO used TCP and it wouldnt suprrise me if AC and others used it too as its primary protocol. Think about it, it simiplifies the design and increases bandwith utilization, both goals far exceed the need to reduced latency for a MMORPG. Some players might get the occasional 30 sec lag burst, but their connection would have to be horrible or the server is overloaded, to be dropping that many packets to casue TCP to do that.

-ddn
Well, i was aiming on TCP, but now i''m in doubt what to use...

The two questions are:
1. TCP case: how do i packetize it?
2. UDP case: how do i manage connections, logins, logouts and other "pseudo-connection" related stuff?
To "packetize" TCP -

1. Have a big buffer, bigger then the biggest message you''re going to send.
2. Check to see if the buffer is full, if so you either have a logic error or the user is trying to hack you. Either way drop him.
3. Read some data into the buffer.
4. Check to see if you''ve received a full message yet, if not go to step 2
5. Act on the message in some appropriate way
6. Copy any remaining data to the front of the buffer and goto step 4 (the last read could have read the end of one message and the beginning of the next in one shot).

That''s it. Nothing special.

For UDP connection management -

Logins and logouts are just messages. There''s no connection related stuff to worry about. At most you may want to assume he disconnected if he logged out.
When you call recvfrom or equivalent you''ll get the ip/port of the sender of the packet along with the data.
Lookup the ip/port in a table somewhere. If you can''t find it this is a new connection. Add the ip/port to the table.
Note in the table the last time you''ve received data on that connection.
Every once in a while walk the whole table. If you find an entry that is to old assume he disconnected. Log him out if necessary and delete the entry.
-Mike
We use Linux servers and prefer UDP connections, but if there''s a problem getting through firewalls and whatnot, we "change down" to TCP (and the user has a laggier experience). We find that about 0.9% of our users are connected through TCP on a typical day.

We use select(), which on our gateway/router machines (packet heavy) take as much as 9% of the CPU. I''d probably go with something like /dev/poll in a new generation, although the other implicit/asynchronous methods are probably good, too. On windows, you need something asynchronous; their select() is horrible (and can only deal with 64 sockets at a time). Multi-threading per connection will kill your server with synchronization overhead; state machine is the way to go. While we only use one socket for UDP connections, the servers talk to each other using other sockets, so we have a fair number of them open at a time (like, more than 100, and less than 10,000 :-).

Our cluster is mostly homogenous 2.4 GHz Pentium IV/DDR 1U machines, 100 MBit to a Foundry switch, and 300 Mbps to the ''net; the database servers are 2U and have dual RAID set-ups; one for database log, and one for database table space.

("We" == large-ish commercial MMOG with single shared world (no shards); not on your list)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
quote:Original post by RonHiler
The lag for TCP can be several SECONDS, as many as 30 or higher in bad cases. A mmorpg can''t deal with that sort of lag any better than can an FPS.

World of Warcraft (which is a MMORPG) currently uses TCP for all game communication. Which is something I find interesting.

--
Martin Piper
Network programming made easy with ReplicaNet
http://www.ReplicaNet.com/
-- Martin PiperNetwork programming made easy with ReplicaNethttp://www.ReplicaNet.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement