Claymation Games

Started by
1 comment, last by wise_Guy 23 years, 9 months ago
Okay, here''s a thought I had today: How about a game where you controlled a piece of plasticene, with arms, legs, head, etc. It would probably be a platform game, but here''s the innovative bit: Say you wanted to reach a high ledge - just stretch your characters arms out a bit! Need to go through a mousehole? Just squash your little man! The catch would be though that if you made the arms too long, then they could snap! ie. have realistic physics. It would look very funny if a guy was swinging across a ledge and his arms started to stretch and get thinner and then snapped! You would then need to go back and fetch your plasticene or pick up more. That could also be the health system - if you get hit by a bullet, little shreds of plasticene fly off and you can go pick them up again to return to full strength, or just wait and find some more as the game progresses. Obviously it would need a fluid control system to enable the transformation of plasticene around the body, (oh yeah, and a pretty good 3D engine to boot), but I think it has potential. It would certainly be innovative. One final thing, if you put heaps of plasticene into your arms, for example, they would start to bulge and get muscly (and as a result you would be stronger), whereas you could distribute the plasticene evenly across your whole body to create a generally toned clay man. I''m looking forward to your ideas wise_guy
Advertisement
There was such a game not too long ago called "The Neverhood". A really good looking game too. Though it was more of an adventure game than an action side-scroller.
this is an amazingly good idea, I think. I knew there had been a game like it (neverhood, as has been mentioned) and there was also clayfighter, which didn''t actually do anything except use fighters your could model from clay.

What if you added different types of plasticene for different effects? Elemental effects come to mind, but you could also do something like a tougher plasticene that wouldn''t take as much damage from bullets, or particularly springy plasticene so you could jump higher--this is the type of game which would benefit from a modular design system like MDK had so if you want to, you can just add something else in.

(If you don''t get the reference to MDK, the developers said they were using a modular design system so you could add new weapons any time they came up with a new one, because "you can never have too many weapons.")

--

All hail the Technoweenie!
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement