• Create Account

tanning machines: safe or not

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 AndreTheGiant   Members   -  Reputation: 322

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:35 AM

I keep hearing mixed things about whether tanning machines are safe or not. Ok I understand that its probably safest to not tan at all, but are tanning machines safer than, as safe as, or less safe than tanning in the Sun itself? Its hard to find a definitive answer. Ive searched google, and every site seems to have their own opinion. Some are extremely in favor of the machines being completely safe. Some are the opposite and guarantee horrible shit will happen to you if you use them; everything from skin cancer to your internal organs start to cook. I dont know much about tanning machines, but I know of 3 different kinds. The lay down beds, the stand up ''beds'', and the kind where they just spray you with some crap that turns your skin dark (somehow). Im not interested in this spray crap. The way I see it: 1) The only thing I ever hear about being bad from the sun is "harmful uv rays". 2) They make sunglasses that block nearly 100% of the sun''s uv rays 3) Therefore they should be able to make the beds out of whatever materieal they need to in order to block out the bad and let though the good. Its probably not this simple though, otherwise there wouldnt be so much controversy over the whole issue. Does anyone have any personal experience with tanning machines? How safe are they? ---- As a side note, assuming theyre safe, how often do you need to go? How much money does it end up costing per month to keep a medium tan going all year round?

#2 Eelco   Members   -  Reputation: 301

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:41 AM

the proper question should be: tanning machines: gay or not?

fortunatly we all know the answer to that question.

#3 AndreTheGiant   Members   -  Reputation: 322

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:45 AM

So have you noticed any health related issues while tanning, Eelco?

#4 mtw   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 16 February 2004 - 05:54 AM

quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
3) Therefore they should be able to make the beds out of whatever materieal they need to in order to block out the bad and let though the good.

I thought the "harmful" UV rays were what made you tan.

#5 Rob Loach   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1504

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:03 AM

quote:
Original post by Eelco
the proper question should be: tanning machines: gay or not?

heh, I was just about to ask a similar question.

#6 Tiffany_Smith   Members   -  Reputation: 1300

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:07 AM

Well, I have only used them once or twice but I know a lot of people that have used them religiously all their lives, the only real bad things I believe about them is that they can give you skin cancer, but we all know that to be true about excessive sun bathing too right? I think the only advice I would give is, Don''t over do it.

If you want to keep up a tan, you should expect to have to go at least once every fortnight, although, everyone is different, and some loose the pigmentation faster than others, so I guess it depends on your skin type.

As for the spray (you can get cream also), if ever you need a tan in 5 mins, its perfect, but I found that it brings out more of an unnatural colour, also its hard to apply properly and bad application can end up with blotchy looking skin.

Hope I helped a little.

#7 Fuzztrek   Members   -  Reputation: 572

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:35 AM

First why don''t you research and see what causes your skin to tan or darken. Then you might think twice about it, and opt for another method.

#8 tHiSiSbOb   Members   -  Reputation: 463

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:41 AM

Yes, In the paper a while ago, there was a story about a woman who had literally fried her insides by tanning too much. Is tanning safe? You be the judge.

#9 mtw   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:46 AM

quote:
Original post by tHiSiSbOb
Yes, In the paper a while ago, there was a story about a woman who had literally fried her insides by tanning too much. Is tanning safe? You be the judge.

That''s a myth. They tried that out on Myth Busters and proved it false.

#10 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:49 AM

Skin cancer is common when being bombarded by UV light.

A lot of tanning machines bombard you with UV light.

Figure it out for yourself.

Resist everyone
I am your only friend. Click here for more information. (MOVED)
Penguin Ninja!

#11 phantom   Members   -  Reputation: 10159

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:09 AM

*lubs his pale skin*

#12 Max_Payne   Banned   -  Reputation: 757

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:27 AM

No, the right question is: Why even care?

Why waste time and money for tanning... Is skin color that important? UV rays are what make you tan and they do pose a health threat. You might argue that everything poses a risk, even driving to work every morning. Obviously, the threat is fairly low, but it is an additional risk, a risk that is not worth taking. Skin cancer does happen, it only takes one cancerous cell to start it and its one of the worse cancers out there.

Not only do you waste money and time on something as futile as small skin color change, but tanning is rarely even. Are tanning machines gay or not? Yes, they are very much gay, just like men that shave their entire body from beard to toe. What the hell? Be natural, be yourself.

To me, tanning machines are just another stupid part of some over-zealous fashion cults. On another note... I do encourage a good physical hygiene, because there is a difference between being natural and not taking care of yourself.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

[edited by - Max_Payne on February 16, 2004 3:34:17 PM]

#13 Estese   Members   -  Reputation: 236

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:09 AM

Tanning is no different than styling your hair a certain way, buying clothes that make you look good, or growing a beard to look ''cooler''. They''re all things people do to feel better about themselves. And when you feel better about yourself, you have more confidence. And when you have more confidence, other people notice that and are more attracted to your personality.

#14 superdeveloper   Members   -  Reputation: 188

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:22 AM

I thought that a little tan is also healthy...

vitamin E was it?? I cannot remember but you body produces one of the vitamins for skin when you get a little sun...

#15 haro   Members   -  Reputation: 502

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:24 AM

quote:
Original post by mtw
quote:
Original post by tHiSiSbOb

That''s a myth. They tried that out on Myth Busters and proved it false.

Actually the stinking breath from fried organs was a myth, not the possibility of dying from tanning. There have been numerous cases of death from organ failure related to tanning. A 17 year old girl checked into the hospital, where a family member of mine works, with a terrible stomach ache. She had tanned at several tanning booths per day ( tanning places limit your exposure per day, but there is nothing stopping you from signing up at several) for several days before her birthday. She ended up dying about a week later from organ failure.

#16 Max_Payne   Banned   -  Reputation: 757

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:34 AM

quote:
Original post by Estese
Tanning is no different than styling your hair a certain way, buying clothes that make you look good, or growing a beard to look ''cooler''. They''re all things people do to feel better about themselves. And when you feel better about yourself, you have more confidence. And when you have more confidence, other people notice that and are more attracted to your personality.

Growing a beard costs nothing and doesnt waste much time, it actually saves shaving time. It doesn''t pose a health threat either.

Styling your hair costs less than tanning, generally takes less time and doesn''t pose a health threat.

If you need tanning to be confident, then its a psychologist you should be going to, not a tanning booth.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

#17 Senses777   Members   -  Reputation: 756

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:49 AM

artificial tans are stupid, tans are stupid.

Just leave your skin how it turns out as far as pigmentation goes. Who cares if you''re darker or lighter? I think most guys like lighter anyways.

#18 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1707

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:35 AM

quote:
Original post by superdeveloper
I thought that a little tan is also healthy...

vitamin E was it?? I cannot remember but you body produces one of the vitamins for skin when you get a little sun...

that would be vitamin D. and you only need a little exposer, maybe ten minutes, not enough to tan you.

[me providing alternate viewpoint]
Not safe. Generally vain and conceited. Such extreme vanity is a sin, cripsy fry you skin now and you will end up crispy frying your skin for eternity.
[/me providing alternate viewpoint]

#19 Eelco   Members   -  Reputation: 301

Posted 16 February 2004 - 12:36 PM

quote:

So have you noticed any health related issues while tanning, Eelco?

im sorry for being childish

healthrisks eh? well they do say anal sex increases risk of HIV infection.
HAR HAR HAR HAR.

ok il stop now. really i will

a tan is something to protect you from dangerous UV radiation, so its nothing but logical your tan will only increase by this dangerous form of radiation. as far as i know safe tanning through radiation doesnt exist. the healthrisk is far from linear with exposure time though. your body has a certain treshold against repairing DNA failures. go over the treshhold, the risk starts increasing dramaticly.

gradually building up is also very important obviously, since you can take much more when you already have a protective layer of pigment. if your hair happens to be red, i would start with a couple of minutes max at a time, but i guess there are more accurate sources of information than me...

#20 AndreTheGiant   Members   -  Reputation: 322

Posted 16 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

Wow I figured there would be some people against tanning, and some people for it, but I never knew that such a whopping majority would be against it.

Maybe I shouldnt have asked on a computer geek related site, since we all (myself included) probably get enough radiation from the monitors anyway

Forget I asked.

Old topic!

Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS