PS2 memory

Started by
8 comments, last by sriniatig 20 years, 2 months ago
I have heard that the PS2 has 32MB of memory available to program on.. Does this mean that at anytime the memory must include the level plus the characters on screen.... , Or is there more memory available?
Advertisement
32mb for everything (except sound). Do you find that shocking

When you are developing the dev kit has 128MB so you can go over but the final burn to run on a standard ps2 must use under 32mb (Sony takes a little bit of it and if your using Renderware or any other middleware you will most likely have about 28 - 30MB left).
that means all the memory the PS2 games take are less than 32 MB runtime memory...
Then is there a lot of swap cycles between DVD and memory then...bcoz we see a lot of quality stuff out there on the screen..and those do take a lot of memory....
Does anyone know the break-up between the world model and the characters on-screen in a game on the PS2 ?
There is not a lot of reading from disk once your level has been loaded, generally only music is streamed at runtime (and in some cases level data is streamed / dumped in realtime). If you want proof eject your disk on a game after the level is loaded, the music will generally stop but the game is still playable because everything is sitting in memory.

32MB is not that small.
He''s right, 32 MB really isn''t that small. The problem is that PC developers tend to be lazy and wasteful. When everyone''s computer has a huge fast hard drive, and 256 MB or more of RAM, who cares if you use needlessly large textures or models, right?

-Someone that''s done PC -> Console ports for a couple years
If you make good use of your memory 32M should be enough for anyone. The real bottleneck on the PS2 is the 4M of texture RAM.

Resist everyone
I am your only friend. Click here for more information. (MOVED)
Penguin Ninja!
And the slow access speeds don''t help things.
I believe that the transfer speeds from main memory to VRAM (and every where on the data bus) are in the region of 2.4 Gig/bits/sec, I wouldnt call that a bottle neck, but if u consider dvds hold several gigs on them, and the load time aint that bad.

Also remember the PSX only had 1 meg of vram and i dont know the bus speed, but sure its nothing like the ps2.

"Be the Monkey!"
"Be the Monkey!"
Don''t forget the incredibly small cache, poor memory access speeds and 4MB of VRAM which needs to hold your front, back and z buffer.
The RAM is fast enough to allow a good amount of textures to be streamed from main RAM to VRAM per frame, and allow 60 frames per second.

Metal Gear Solid 2, as example, uses an average of 10MBs worth of textures on screen.

Also, many PS2 games use compressed palettized textures (8-bit) to save space, since it seems the system can hold as many different palletes as necessary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement