Sprites & antialiasing

Started by
5 comments, last by MuteAngel 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi. I''ve been trying to create some sprites for an isometric game. I used Zygote''s figures from Poser 4, exported them to .obj, imported them into Max and rendered with the "don''t antialias against background" option enabled. Here is my problem. If I don''t use antialiasing against background, I get very squary sprite, even at small size. If I use antialiasing, the sprite will be surrounded by a green halo in the game (I use 0x00FF00 for the background) because it''s antialiased.
<table BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0"> <tr> <td></td> <td></td> </tr> <tr><td>antialias off</td><td>antialias on</td>>/TR> </table>
How could I get smoother "edges"? I tried to render in different sizes and then to downsize but photoshop will automatically use antialiasing . Should I use another color for the background? Or am I doing it wrong all the way? How do they do in games such as Planescape : Torment to get such nice looking sprites? Any idea? Thanks a lot
Advertisement
Hmm.. It looks like the HTML didn''t work .

The first image was rendered with antialiasing off, the second with antialiasing on.

Sorry for the mess .
Have you tried experimenting with the Super Black option in max
and having a black 0,0,0 background ?.

Bill

bill@serpentsoftware.com

I have but I couldn''t get rid of the 8 bit mario bros. look .

I think I''ll try to experiment different sizes with different background colours.

Thx for your reply .
I don''t know MAX, but I have had the problem myself. And the only answer is to use a black border around the sprite, just like in the good old days ...
I am thinking than maybe you don''t need anything. Did you try to look at your sprite with a non uniform color. Maybe you notice the squary edges because you are on a pure white background ... I don''t think your would notice the edges that much on a more complicated background.

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
It worked! Stupid me, next time I''ll try to run the animation on some background before asking. Thx a lot .

BTW I just had a look inside the art files of Planescape : Torment and Baldur''s Gate (using InfinityExplorer) and the sprites are as squary as mines, so I guess it''s not just me .
actually, the only real way to beat the antialiasing thing is to use alpha channels for all sprites, but i doubt you wanna do that.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement