Free game: Tower (latest version 1.6)

Started by
60 comments, last by WitchLord 20 years ago
Well, since this is my forum I might as well use it to announce my products, don't you think? I've just released Tower (v1.6, 2004/04/04) and would like to know what you think about it. This game is based on the same ideas as Tetris, i.e blocks falling down that you have to match up in order to remove them before the game space fills up. However, itt is not a clone. The Tower page Give the game a try and tell me what you think. I made this game in order to build myself a working framework to base my next game upon, and it has already proven itself useful in that I've been able to identify and remove plenty of bugs that didn't present themselves on my machine. Thanks a lot to all of you who have sent me feedback, both here and directly to me by e-mail. The bug with the failing textures on the Trident CyberBlade 3D accelerator still eludes me, but it is not a very common chip so I can live with that. I you have any suggestions or find any bugs I would be more than happy to hear about them. Regards, Andreas www.AngelCode.com - game development and more... AngelScript - free scripting library [edited by - WitchLord on March 14, 2004 3:23:56 PM] [edited by - WitchLord on March 15, 2004 5:35:04 PM] [edited by - WitchLord on March 17, 2004 7:58:56 PM] [edited by - WitchLord on April 4, 2004 8:07:09 PM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
Well, you can add another working config to your list =)

Laptop, Dell Insipiron 8600
1.7 Pentium M
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Mb
512 RAM
WinXP Home SP1

Cool game BTW =)

[edited by - Christian R on March 11, 2004 12:16:26 PM]
- Veni Vidi What?
quote:Original post by WitchLord
..., but I would prefer not to have to rely on D3DX in this case.

I''m just getting started with DX. Why do you prefer to avoid D3DX? Are there pros and cons to using the D3DX calls (speed, etc.? or just not wanting to require the library? ...)
Thanks,

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare
Working fine here (W2k, GF4 Ti4600). Great game too!
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Working good here, XP Pro + Athlon 1400 with geforce 4 ti.

Only complaint would be the mouse speed seems to vary, making it annoying to use the menus. When I've done pointers I've just done deltas of the motion, or mapped the mouse onto the window, it's easier for you since you're fullscreen, so a simple win32 command should get it.

[edited by - ch1pz on March 11, 2004 12:47:25 PM]
Christian R:

Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

reana1:

In this case I wanted to avoid D3DX because I wanted to make graphics engine that would be easy to port to OpenGL and even to a future software renderer, which means that I would need to write my own code for loading and creating textures anyway. Otherwise I see no reason to avoid D3DX, the library is statically linked so there is really no dependency on that, and the library is usually better optimized than you would do yourself. It's just that I like knowing what's going on behind the scenes

Fruny:

Thanks!

ch1pz:

Thanks for the feedback. The mouse speed varies because I implemented acceleration, perhaps I overdid it a little (I already lowered the mouse speed once ). I like it like this (I don't have to move the mouse so much to get the pointer across the screen), but perhaps I could add an option for adjusting the speed.

Mapping the pointer to the windows pointer could be a good idea, especially in windowed mode when it would allow the user to move the mouse outside the window to switch applications. I think I'll try that solution when I get the time. Thanks for the tip.

www.AngelCode.com - game development and more...
AngelScript - free scripting library

[edited by - WitchLord on March 11, 2004 2:04:05 PM]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

wow im addicted.

typedef unsigned long long int me;
typedef signed short char you;
:D

Thanks for letting me know.

In the future I''ll try to make an online highscore list (to make the game even more addictive ), but I don''t know when that would be since I have very little time.

www.AngelCode.com - game development and more...
AngelScript - free scripting library

wow... this one''s great. highly addictive stuff.

no problems on Athlon TB 1400, GeForce-2 GTS, WinXP
[tried, but didn''t work on Linux/Wine (Wine no likey DirectX) :-(]
Wow, i'm dizzy,.. no joke... The rotation of the game space makes me sea sick...

Nice game, works fine on my ancient Athlon 750, 256MB RAM, TNT2.

edit: DON'T LAUGH,....
edit2: at either my system or my intolerance of anything rotating...

[edited by - Crawl on March 11, 2004 7:50:24 PM]

[edited by - Crawl on March 11, 2004 7:51:55 PM]
--------<a href="http://www.icarusindie.com/rpc>Reverse Pop Culture

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement