terminology: draw vs render. is this correct?

Started by
7 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 20 years, 1 month ago
Ive always used the terms draw and render interchangeably. Do they mean the same thing? Suppose I want to describe the situation where, you send a bunch of polygons (say 100) to OPENGL, but for various reasons*, only some of them (say 30) are drawn to the screen. Is this the difference? Is it correct to say that 100 polygons were rendered, but only 30 were drawn? * various reasons may be : some of the polys are behind the view point, some of the polys are behind other polys, some of the polys are exactly perpendicular to the viewer... etc [edited by - AndreTheGiant on March 17, 2004 5:35:18 PM]
Advertisement
I guess you could say that rendering is the whole process of transforming and lighting vertices, processing fragments, and filling in all necessary buffers, whereas drawing is only the last step.

Kind of picky, though.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
hmm, I'd say rasterisation is the last step. I also use draw and render interchangeably; rendering is probably more specific, but drawing means basically the same thing IMO.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on March 17, 2004 7:05:15 PM]

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

same here, just pick the right one depending on sentance constructs and who i''m talking to (for example, i tend to use ''draw'' with my friends instead of ''render'', they would probably understand either way but draw is more natural when we talk)
I would say draw is more 2d and render is 3d
quote:Original post by krakrazor
I would say draw is more 2d and render is 3d

Well you are drawing fake 3D to a 2D buffer .

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I always use render when you want to sound academic and draw when you just want to sound like a normal human
super genius
Nice one duke, I like it.

There is a difference though (in my opinion). Drawing is like saying to OpenGL - "this is where I want to put these pixels" - a bit like setting aside positions for the pixels. Rendering is then taking those pixels and putting them on the screen.

A bit like in a 3D modeling program. You make the model normally (drawing), and then you render it (rendering).
The ability to succeed is the ability to adapt
i moved away from draw all in all.

if i rastericing, i call it paint (the painters algorithm is used for it, at least:D (or, "how to ''draw'' transparent surfaces").

for raytracing, i call it capturing.

and rendering, for me, got more general as "processing the input to get the output we want". so if i take a cd, and rip off the wave, and create an ogg, technically, i _could_ say i render it as ogg into a file.

i don''t, normally. :D

but painting, and capturing, fits bether than drawing imho.

If that''s not the help you''re after then you''re going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

davepermen.net
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement