Need 1 Employer

Started by
12 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
I''m currently finishing my Ph D in Game Design and are look for one profession employer to fill the gap in my up and coming exciting new projects. The employer must have the following abilities: Strong Understanding in Employee Value Capable and willing to work long hours Positive attitude towards business growth Sincer drive for excellence Capable of recognition and gratitude Finding everything that i say funny If you think that you could be the Employer that would suit my needs please don''t hesitate to contact me. Naturally not all contenders may be excepted due to personal whims and petty interests but you never know your luck. Please don''t forget to include your resume and employee references. Yours Seriously, Paul Cunningham ("Professional Game Designer") I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
You can do Game Design as a course here in Australia? Please tell me where... I am at the ANU at the moment (Sorry that this is OT BTW )

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mad props to you, Paul. Someone so needed to say this...

======
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Socrates

"Question everything. Especially Landfish."
-Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
LMFAO! I only realised the hilarity after I posted... I hadn''t seen the "Need 1 designer" post.

Very amusing

Check our site:
Very nice but...shouldn''t we be more understanding to the guy?
I mean we all have(or had) dreams don''t we?

Anyway i think i''ll sponsor you when i''ll get rich by my own game which is gonna be sponsored by an employer having all these abilities you want.

Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Paul,
Your in luck.... we are seeking someone that has you "professional" qualifications. Here''s the deal....
Get a plane ticket (one way) and fly to the heart of the Mid-Western USA, Indiana to be precise. We are willing to offer you very measly salary based on the fact that you are a professional and that you have your PhD.

OK, I couldn''t resist. I know that some people are dreamers and that is good, the world has benefited from many dreamers. But you have to be realistic... The game business is tough! Once your in your in and once you get out... well generally your out. Case in point, I read a newsgrouop post by this guy who claimed to work on such titles as F15 Strike Eagle and even worked at Maxis in the early 80''s. He got out of the biz and now 10 years later is trying to get back in... he was looking for anyone that remembered him or knew W.W''s email address.

Here is some realism:
I worked at a startup game company in 1996... we had 3 programmers, 1 2d artist, 1 3d artist and in May of 97 we lost our funding.... I drove as a pizza delivery guy for 3 months trying to keep things going with the art that we had and the codebase. Eventually I had to give up, I had moved to Florida with my two daughters (I''m a single parent) spent around 100K of my own money investing in the venture and lost 18 months of my life.
I now work for a company that is doing all sorts of work from contract work to online (web based) games. A small group of us have been designing a MMORPG for the past 6-8 months. We''re looking for funding and it may happen.... or it may not. Whatever happens there, isn''t going to stop my desire to create games but, at the same time... I am realistic as to how everything is going to turn up.

Good luck to all of us and may we always be realistic about our chances.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Before I get flamed....
I knew Pauls post was a reply to the other thread and was not serious.
My post was a joke.... and the lower sections were serious. Hope everyone understands.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Damn... I was looking forward to a good toasting .. You will all feel the heat

Check our site:
Kudos to keith for relocating the Need 1 Designer thread. It''s in the Help wanted section now.

The guy made a mistake, and we all came down on him for it. Good work, boys... But he has now responded to our flaming in a very intelligent way, semi apologetically, so I apologized for the lot of us (if I may take the liberty).

But this leads me to an interesting though. We really do get the shaft, now don''t we? Designers, producers, writers, the "non-essential" staff of videogamedom. Well, it''s actually worse than that. We ARE essential, just not in amateur work, so "entry level" positions for our kind are really high up. And some people seem to want "professional" designers, when we never had the work before to become professional.

It''s ridiculous. not to mention, there''s still a whole cult of programmers out there who want to maintain creative control over games, thus shafting us for pre-professional experience. And then there''s guys like our friend the president; well intentioned, but not willing to take a chance on amateurs.

Isn''t the game industry hard enough to break into? Do we really need to get screwed like this?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote:Original post by Landfish

Kudos to keith for relocating the Need 1 Designer thread. It''s in the Help wanted section now.

I agree
quote:
(SNIP)

But this leads me to an interesting though. We really do get the shaft, now don''t we? Designers, producers, writers, the "non-essential" staff of videogamedom. Well, it''s actually worse than that. We ARE essential, just not in amateur work, so "entry level" positions for our kind are really high up. And some people seem to want "professional" designers, when we never had the work before to become professional.

Unfortunately that same mentality holds true for most "professional" positions in any industry.
quote:
It''s ridiculous. not to mention, there''s still a whole cult of programmers out there who want to maintain creative control over games, thus shafting us for pre-professional experience. And then there''s guys like our friend the president; well intentioned, but not willing to take a chance on amateurs.

I''m one of those guys... Although our entire team is like that. We are programmers and designers. Althouhg sometimes I think that it would be beneficial to have a guy around that just focused on design.
quote:
Isn''t the game industry hard enough to break into? Do we really need to get screwed like this?

Yes, the industry is to hard to break into and no you really shouldn''t be screwed like this... but, what are we to do?

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement