java vs. C++

Started by
66 comments, last by antareus 19 years, 10 months ago
Java, C#, and the like are doing the C++ community a great service, namely culling the C++ herd of programmers that aren''t disciplined enough to use it. Undisciplined programmers suffer painful experiences at the hands of C++ that they naturally blame on the language, leading them to switch to an "easier" alternative.

Not saying this is where all Java/C# programmers come from, or that everyone that doesn''t like C++ falls in this group, just pointing out a side benefit that I believe is often overlooked by C++ programmers: less bad code to maintain.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by dmikesell
Java, C#, and the like are doing the C++ community a great service, namely culling the C++ herd of programmers that aren''t disciplined enough to use it. Undisciplined programmers suffer painful experiences at the hands of C++ that they naturally blame on the language, leading them to switch to an "easier" alternative.

It''s interesting just how much bullshit you manage to cram into 2 sentences.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by Arild Fines

Go Arild!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
haha i will write in java or c++ if asked by employer.
which is better?? is one really better or is one more ideal in certain circumstance?
in game development i use c++, i suppose because i feel more comfortable with c++ for this and i like to use vc++ to design project. so i chose c++ because of familiarity and that doesnt make it a better language.
Java, C#, and the like are doing the C++ community a great service, namely culling the C++ herd of programmers that aren't disciplined enough to use it. Undisciplined programmers suffer painful experiences at the hands of C++ that they naturally blame on the language, leading them to switch to an "easier" alternative.

It's interesting just how much bullshit you manage to cram into 2 sentences.

Coming from the authority on the subject, that means quite a lot.

[edited by - dmikesell on June 14, 2004 11:46:16 AM]
quote:Original post by Rickmeister

Go Arild!

Strike two. Still waiting for a serious refutation of what I wrote...

Not saying this is where all Java/C# programmers come from, or that everyone that doesn''t like C++ falls in this group, just pointing out a side benefit that I believe is often overlooked by C++ programmers: less bad code to maintain.

Do you honestly believe that? or are you just trying to provoke a flame war?

I wouldn''t say that java is an easier language to program; or that c++ / java are difficult languages to learn.

To use a programming language because you think it makes you "leet" is ignorant. Learning the programing language will always be by far the easiest part of game development.

In my personal opinion. Developing a 3D online multiplayer game is one of the most difficult programs you could make. It requires an extensive knowledge of a many areas. (ie rendering, networking) You need to be an excellent planner. You need to be creative and extremely dedicated and motivated. There is a lot of programming required where you don''t really see any results right away; that is very discuraging.

Developing games is by by far more difficult then creating a few classes to manage dynamic arrays, or whatever you consider to be the most troublesome aspect of c++. That is level one stuff. If you are a good / smart C++ programmer then you''ve developed some nice libraries for yourself. The "hard" part is already done. Of course, having standard higher level APIs at your disposal is a huge plus when it comes to team development. If I was to join your team, I wouldn''t have to waste my time debugging / learning your libraries.

But that is besides the point.

The question here is:

Can java be used in games as effectively as C++?
Answer: Yes.

Is java an industry standard for AAA game development?
Answer: No.

Will it ever be?
Answer: Maybe.

You need to write something serious first. Judging by your history, it seems we are in for a long wait.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
BobV - I''m not trying to start a flame war or come off being "elite". C++ requires discipline or you''ll write code rife with memory errors and leaks. I''d rather not maintain that kind of code, so I''d prefer that undisciplined programmers uses something else. And in most cases I think they do in fact make the switch to something that will help mask their lack of discipline.

That''s all.

You need to write something serious first. Judging by your history, it seems we are in for a long wait.

Well it was obviously serious enough to get your panties in a wad. You''re just angry because I was right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement