Multi-story buildings - rts

Started by
19 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 7 months ago
If you could construct buildings into the side of a hill in order to reduce its vunrabilities would be a good way of taking advantage of a 3D terrain, which may have an impact on the strategies players use. Although i think it would be appropriate if such buildings took longer to construct if they were being built into a hill/ yes?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on September 10, 2000 10:45:01 AM
Advertisement
They
    should
take longer to construct, and preferably require some sort of engineer unit to ''prep'' the terrain to be built onto. As a side effect, you might be able to scavenge resources like from the extracted terrain ...

... and potentially uncover some geothermal springs which you could use for power?
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
quote:
... and potentially uncover some geothermal springs which you could use for power?

Now that''s a good idea, being able to find little suprises that could shift the flow of a battle. What about this one, being able to scan the ground for little suprises. Hey, you could also have bad suprises as well "Ooops, we just struck a volcanic ridge. The captain isn''t going to be too pleased"

Our Goal is "Fun"!
How about buildings hidden underground? Or lower stories to a tower?

Then the enemy would have to do some sort of search for undergroundthings. Of course, lower stories to a building would be easily detected.

With this, you could hide some extra units underground hopefully undetected until the enemy leaves, then rebuild. Could this work?
You could have consequences for overpopulating an area ... like sinkholes ?

Your base is crammed together, and not only are you using water for hydroelectric power, but also for supplying troops, coolant towers etc, and so when you build a nice expensive factory too close to your little metropolis, the ground caves in and you lose it all (as well as any nearby units). Said hole is now impossible to build on, and a potential future deathtrap to unwary units. It wouldn''t be hard to implement either ... holes are generally rather black ...
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
That could make the game a bit more interesting, building accidents, etc. What you said about holes being dangerous, you could have an option to set traps like that or something. So far, the only "trap" i''ve seen in an rts game is a gun tower. Maybe covered holes, or mines or something?
Nice thread. I really like the idea of both building both above and below ground (and into hillsides would be awesome, too). The network idea sounds cool, too. Combined with the underground idea, I could see interesting competition developing ("what? They''ve connected their two bases with a tunnel right below me?!?! And now they''ve turned it into a sinkhole!?!?!?!?! )

I''d love to see would happen if you had a game where building configuration really mattered (sort of like X-Com, where accessways and connectors could determine how protected a base was).

I''d also like to see a capital ship game where you construct capitals ships from multiple, networked modules (in 3D!) So maybe where you locate things and how you connect them determines the strength of your ship and it''s capabilities more than hit points and such.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
One thing that has bugged me in a lot of RTS games is the way buildings take up ground space. Maybe buildings should be build on some sort of platform so that units can go underneath them, rather than going around a long row of buildings to get to that pesky little unit blowing the crap out of another of your buildings...

Also , how about being able to build ramps up cliffs for easier/quicker access, construct bridges over rivers/ravines.

Or, if the game is orientated that way, have different races able to build in different environments. Ie, dwarves build into hills/mountains, elves construct tree cities, others can build floating islands...

-------------------------------------------------
"Children come to us in a state of purity and perfection from the great undifferentiated absolute and then, like everything else on this planet, we fuck them up."
There''s a lot of good idea''s here. The one about having buildings on stilts is great. How about hover buildings, the more you chuck on top the less they hover. I''m all for the modifying the terrain idea, this is something missing in rts''s that promotes a hell of a lot of strategy and tactics. It would also be good if you could build tunnels so you can get troops up close and personal to the enemy a lot easier although this could be promoting the rush tactic again so maybe not for now.

How about spys, what if you could send in some sort of hacker who could suck out all of you enemies data (money, structures, units etc) and send it back to you.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Hacker : Small, fast unit with low HP that can enter enemy buildings and either acquire funds or steal technology. Something along the lines of a diplomat in Civ.

Saboteur : Another small, fast unit (weak) that are like suicide bombers. If they get into the building they blow up and cause so many damage points.

Merrick

-------------------------------------------------
"Children come to us in a state of purity and perfection from the great undifferentiated absolute and then, like everything else on this planet, we fuck them up."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement