is it possible to copyright a game concept?

Started by
16 comments, last by thedevdan 19 years, 9 months ago
I've been reading alot about copyrights lately but haven't really found the answer I was looking for. I developed a new game concept and was wondering if it is possible to copyright this. I'm not interested in copyrighting the game 'description' or the game code (graphics, etc), it is a new concept about a completely new kind of multiplayer game - nothing in the concept is borrowed from other games. As far as I've read about it, it seems that it is not possible to copyright this. Which means that if I bring out this game, someone else can steal the concept to make a similar kind of game (and makes tons of money with a better team, skills, marketing etc.). Is this so? (I recall the story of tetris, the inventor never got any money out of but lots of others did...)
Advertisement
Not copyright, no.

Given the state of the patent system, however, you could probably patent the game idea. Heck, you could probably patent tetris.
I dont think the guy who invented Tetris didnt get money because he couldnt pantent his idea. Im sure it was to do with the Sovient Union not allowing people to sell stuff like that(IIRC).

You cant copyright the idea. All the specifics you can (Logo, UI, Graphics) but not the idea. Thats why there are so many different versions of tetris, Breakout, and Doom and Quake 'clones' (to name a few).

Someone could take your idea and make money from it, but if you work hard on it you could make money from it before anyone else can make a 'clone' (that is of course if your idea is good :) )
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
The main reason Alexey Pajitnov, creator of Tetris, did not get paid was due to the popularity of the game and misunderstandings in contracts. In the international market, multiple companies believed they had acquired the exclusive rights to the game, and it became a sort of free for all, with unlicensed and questionably licensed clones popping up all over the place. By the way, Alexey has since moved to the US and been paid back dues for the game, as well as had all the rights returned to him. He now works at Microsoft.

As far as copyrighting an idea, you can't. However, if you fully develop a concrete realization of the idea, as a highly detailed design document for example, you could copyright that. Then no one would be able to 'steal' your main ideas, though if there is a specific game play option which is fairly obvious but as-yet-undone, they could probably get away with using that.
-bodisiw
A game concept cannot be copyrighted. However the line between copying a concept and copying a product is such a grey area that it isn't an exact science to where one starts and the other ends. Let's say you make a racing game based in Boston and call it Boston Racer. You map the city, all the landmarks and create a track you race within the city limits. You put a few neat car models in the game and design your own engine to make a terrific racing game. So far so good. However as soon as it hits the market you get sued by another company who made Boston Rally, which is also a racing game in the city of Boston. Now any programmer knows that these are 2 entirely different games with entirely different engines but a court of law will most likely compare screenshots, conclude that they look the same and then rule in favour of the guys that sued you.

Sounds ridiculous? It happened to a developer we worked with. A judge doesn't know anything about games and you're particularly doomed if you get a female judge (no offense but women are more prone to look at pictures. A man will ask what's under the hood if he buys a car while a woman will more likely buy one because it looks nice). In the U.S. there are the famous Hasbro vs. the ret of the world lawsuits where they wanted to enforce copyrights on Pac man and Tetris. Hasbro lost that one but it could easily have gone the other way.
Quote:Original post by Xing Interactive
However as soon as it hits the market you get sued by another company who made Boston Rally, which is also a racing game in the city of Boston.
And they have no case. Any decent lawyer will get this thrown out. Heck, a paralegal probably could. Assuming you really didn't use any of the art/code/etc from that other game.
Quote:Original post by Xing Interactive
Let's say you make a racing game based in Boston and call it Boston Racer. You map the city, all the landmarks and create a track you race within the city limits. You put a few neat car models in the game and design your own engine to make a terrific racing game. So far so good. However as soon as it hits the market you get sued by another company who made Boston Rally, which is also a racing game in the city of Boston. Now any programmer knows that these are 2 entirely different games with entirely different engines but a court of law will most likely compare screenshots, conclude that they look the same and then rule in favour of the guys that sued you.

Sounds ridiculous? It happened to a developer we worked with.
Please post details of the legal case (case number/court) as I would like to read up on this case.

Basically the developer should be busy sueing their lawyer because that case was a farce. Copyright isn't about things looking the same, it is about one being based on the other. Any half decent IP lawyer should be able to show that the game was developed seperately and as such wasn't a breach.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
It seems its different in US and in Europe (where I live)...in Europe they seem to assume you have intellectual copyright over your game concept, and a patent is not possible or even necessary (see for example http://www.patent.gov.uk/about/consultations/responses/comsoft/atof/corbet.htm). In the US, there's examples of patents on game concepts. For example at actiongaming.com they say "First, we are going to give a priority to gaming concepts in which a patent has been applied for. "
http://www.actiongaming.com/newinvention/index.asp

seems like the patent/copyright for game concepts is reversed in US compared to Europe...I'm confused!
You can copy right the characters in the game, the name of the game (and of your company), you can patent the game code. I'm too tired (*just* woke up) to remember how this works, but much of the game design is considered your "intellectual property" - which is an advantage you have over Hasbro because Hasbro didn't *create* Pac-Man...they just owned it legally. Look into intellectual properpty laws, they're nothing to be scoffed at.

They work for books and comic book publications anyway =)

Ultimately if anyone ever tries to steal your game, you can just show up in court with the source code and show it off. Not much can be done to disprove that.
But in reality, would you even want to copyright or patent a concept? If we look throughout the history of games - there are many things in games that have been copied but with a twist. Columns, Tetris... loads of different RPGS... can you imagine paying royalties to Square for any form of summoning? Lionhead for gesture recognition inside a game?

This has already been reviled by many because of a case pretty recently where someone tried to sue for patent rights over card-games implemented in computer software.

Thing is your concept is probably built on many other ideas that other people have come up with before. It should not matter if the idea is copied... only if an exact copy of your own work is being used without your permission.

Plus your concept will probably get props for anything that is similar anyway... esp. if it's own genre and is ground breaking. Many describe real-time strategy games as Command-And-Conquer type titles. Your title will be advertised and used as a yard stick in any case.

Cramping innovation via patents and copyright is not what the industry today was built on... but sadly a compensation culture seems to be starting to get into this industry, much to the glee of lawyers everywhere.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement